Vw 2.0 tdi engine differences

Mctb62

Car
A4 convertible
Currently have a 2009 a4 convertible needing a engine change has the bpw engine at moment can anyone tell the difference between the other 140bhp engines ie bre I know there are a few different ones all look same

The main differences are transverse and longitudinal mounts.

Head, bolts, minor differences to injectors but all are pretty similar AFAIK and are a straight swap.

In some cases the ECU and sensors were different so either swap in the new ECU and door locks or put the sensors from the old engine on the new block and use it with your current ECU.

Whats the issue with the old engine? Can a repair be made to it?

Why not drop in the 170? It is almost as much work and you get a better turbo and injectors. Engine blocks and mounts are the same, it's down to software and a good mapper can setup the new engine for you and give you a great deal of extra shove.

Be careful on the year, pre 2008 were PD, later engines were CR, a totally different fuel system.

The BRE is I think a Pre2008 PD engine.

Blocks and most things are the same, with a few revisions but the fuel injectors fuel pump and mapping are completely different.

Get an engine from a post 2008 car to drop in for simplicity.

Head, bolts, minor differences to injectors but all are pretty similar AFAIK and are a straight swap.

In some cases the ECU and sensors were different so either swap in the new ECU and door locks or put the sensors from the old engine on the new block and use it with your current ECU.

Did a turbo swap end nut had come off but was still in pupe flushed system through new oil and filters started then just stopped dead now turns over very slow like engine solid new battery have directed new earth still same

Be careful on the year, pre 2008 were PD, later engines were CR, a totally different fuel system.

The BRE is I think a Pre2008 PD engine.

Blocks and most things are the same, with a few revisions but the fuel injectors fuel pump and mapping are completely different.

Get an engine from a post 2008 car to drop in for simplicity.
Tag in boot showing as a bpw engine even through a 2009 car the convertible seems to have the older engine in

So can I use most of the 140bhp blocks and heads as long as I transfer over the axilliaces and injection system

As far as I know they are all the same, and can be swapped around/parts changed.

I think the BKD was the best head and bottom end but this is a transverse engine.

Most of my 2.0 TDi knowledge is on this page now... but you've probably found that and read it already.

It's interesting that they fitted an older engine to the Cabriolet, I guess it may have been a late registration, it's not far from the changeover year.

The Bosch ECU's are really good at stopping an engine destroying itself. It could just be the head that is damaged if you're lucky.

Darkside Dev have some pretty good TDI stuff if you want to look at upgrades. ;)