vtec help

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
im hopefully if i pass today :/

going to be getting a vtec civic. and i am trying to see about modding for the future.

i was thinking about a vtec controller like this

Field SFC-Vtec Controller
The Field VTEC controller is a perfect suppliment for VTEC Honda's. The Field VTEC controller features an 8 step fuel controller (+/- 30% in 1% increments), a VTEC controller adjustment(2000-9900rpm in 100rpm increments), a tachometer display with shift indicator and a speedometer with speed limiter remover. This unit is dyno proven with impressive results. 1.8DOHC 5-9hp, 2.2DOHC 9-17hp, 1.6SOHC 3-5hp.
fieldvtec.jpg

what do people think about this? worth it or a waste of money?

Depends on what modney we are talking about. Do you need to fine tune it? If the difference is £150 between one with a set preset and one I can tweak myself I would probably go for the preset one. If the difference is less then I'd probably get one I can play with and set to match my "driving mood".

true true.

does anyone know of a diag kit like vagcom and obi ii for a vtec civic? and somewere i can buy a cable to link to a laptop for it?

ive never had 1 so i dont know for certain
but i heard that they are bad for the car,somthing to do with upsetting a perfect build engiene

hope you do pass,and get a good vtec though
;)

The Apexi Power FC replaces the ECU and allows a lot of aftermarket tweaks. I beleive it is fairly universal as well.

ive never had 1 so i dont know for certain
but i heard that they are bad for the car,somthing to do with upsetting a perfect build engiene

hope you do pass,and get a good vtec though
;)

cheers :] i will one day lol..

um why would a diagnostic kit change anything if i am just doing readings off the ecu and for fault codes?

and i have been informed by my cousin who has modded few vtecs over the years that a vtec controller is a very good thing to have as you can change loads of different things.

prince, if yours is vtec, go on an get one :p

an remember you get what you paid for, so the more pricey ones will prolly have more settings you can change
the APEXi NEO looks good or the Field SFC-Vtec Controller (has less settings to change so prolly cost less and not so much of a fuel/air controller)

prince, if yours is vtec, go on an get one :p

Lol :lol: Mine isn't vtec...yet! I've never really thought about a vtec controller...especially for a gain of 10 bhp. Instead I've thought supercharger and nos! :lol:

As I'm sure you'll pass your next time, what vtec Civic are you thinking of?

the 6th gen one, 1.6 vtec. ill find a link/pic in a sec

the vtec controller isnt just for fine tuning the vtec threshold. it is also a boost/airtofuel ratio controller and a couple of other things.

a little info on the APEXi Neo

The SAFC NEO marks the newest edition to the world famous Super AFC line of piggy back fuel controllers. Building upon the powerful SAFC II, the AFC NEO has taken piggy back style fuel control to a new level. The AFC NEO boasts an incredible 16 points of user definable fuel correction. VTEC control has also been incorporated for Honda applications. A complete monitor mode is also available to keep the driver/tuner informed of critical engine data.
Features include: Completely new case design
Compact design
Incorporates both AFC and VAFC functions in one unit
16 point fuel correction
Color FED display
User defined button and background colors
Inverted "anti-glare" screen Key functions include:
MONITOR MODE- RPM
Throttle
Battery voltage
Correction %
Air flow %
Pressure
Karmann
VTEC
SETTING MODE- Air map
Air map graph
Throttle point
Deceleration air
VTEC control
VTEC unmatch
ETC MODE- Model select
Mode select
Car select
Sensor select
Analog scale
Warning set
Display set
Sensor check
CONCEPT:
High resolution fuel control with integrated VTEC control.

CHARACTERISTICS:
Revolutionary color FED display easily customized by the user.
*Not compatible with i-VTEC for controlling i-VTEC
(can still be used as a fuel controller)*
Apexi_Neo.jpg

Apexi_Neo2.jpg

I would love this one but i think its a little out of my price range.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-53-HONDA...=39:1|66:2|65:7|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

but i will probably go for this one, or one like it(if i cant afford the insurance on an A4 that is :p)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-HONDA-CI...=39:1|66:2|65:7|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

insidentally is there much different between the 1.5 vtec and the 1.6 vtec

i know the 1.6 has two powers, 109bhp and 160bhp.
are there similar power versions in the 1.5vtec?

Personally I wouldn't go for either of those choices. Both have rather high mileage (not a problem in a Honda but still), especially the second one. If you want to mod in later years then having over 100,000 miles on the clock isn't a good start. There are absolutely loads of Civic's on AutoTrader...have a look and cycle through as many as you can. If you want any advice on them just ask.

Now the difference between the 1.5 and the 1.6...

The 5th generation Civic (like the ones used in The Fast and The Furious) had multiple levels of engine power. There was the VTi which used the same engine as the 6th gen VTi, but there was also the 'base' model. These had 1.5 D series engines under the bonnet. These engines produced from as low as around 70 bhp to 104 bhp. The 'base' model 1.6 on the 6th gen produced 109 bhp. The 1.6 is all about the engine used (D or B series). The 6th gen has 4 different 1.6 engines but the highest output is from the VTi (unless you import an EK9 Type R), this produces the 160 bhp. The 1.5 engines (D series) are not vtec.

if it had the B16B2 engine in it i dont really think that i would be modding it that much, as after all it has 160bhp.

i would have that for a year to get some NCD and then get a better one.

so the 1.5vtec doesnt have nearly as much power as the 1.6?

i see your civic on the gallerys, looks quite nice, how does it ride and handle compaired to the one/s that i linked? as its longer i would think that it will not handle as good, but i might be wrong.

The VTi engines have a good potential so if you decided to mod it later on you would havea good base to work with. A better one? Only better one would be a Type R but you could easily uprate the performance to better the Type R. The 1.5s aren't vtec and don't come in the 6th gen, but do in the 5th gen. I would go for a coupe over a hatchback because they look much better. My Civic only has about 115 bhp, but accelerates very quickly, it's light as well, corner's can be taken very well at reasonable speed (even before the 120mm drop). The handling is amazing, a real joy to drive. It's an amazing car! I would definitely recommend one to you.

hmmm,,, so the ad's on ebay that say 1.5vtec are lying?? i thought something might have been a bit dodgy :blink:

hopefully in a short while after i have done my full bike test i am thinking about getting a Vtec Motorbike. the vfr800 if your interested.

Both adverts you listed are 1.6s. Name me a generation and I'll tell you if there was a 1.5! Don't forget that adverts on ebay are wrote by who ever is selling the car so not all information is correct. As for the bike, sorry but I'm not into bikes.

We have done quite a few heads on the Honda Vtecs and the performance gains are around 30 BHP, Honda got this nearly right but more performance is definetly there

cool so you could get it up to 190bhp. nice.

um.. just what do you mean head work lol?

Oh no, its got out i know nothing really about mechanics lol.

tuning i know the theory, but not put into practise yet.

dont even know where the headgaskit is lol or what it does :confused:

Steve,

What i mean by head work is reworking the inlet and exhaust ports to allow faster more turbulent air passing into the engine without restriction, From this you can control what power you want, It is more on a art to do and years of learning the skills,

That with a lary cam with a larger overlap allows a longer duration of fuel and air to enter the cylinder and get 'sucked' in by the exhaust gases exiting,

(head gasket is he seal between the block and head to allow combustion seal and water and oil to pass to the head) It is a vital part

Honda are pretty good but aren't quite there!! You can go for a larger valve option to allow more flow, Depends on budgets, !!

aaah i see :)

um, well when i finally get a car i think i will get the 6th gen civic with a B16B2 VTI engine,(thats a vtec isnt it?) and then run that for a while and then once im used to the power I might get that done, funds for tuning,

i would prolly say,,, dunno bout a grand. that is, if my insurance can take it.

(only about 900 a year for a 1.6VTI 6th gen with B16B2 engine.)

so it might push it up to about....what.... 12-1300 with the mods you just said.

so do you work in a garage or own one?

HI Steve,

Yes i run my own tuning company offering a 'drive in and drive out service' and specilise in all areas of tuning. We create a complete tuning package stopping any conflictions between normal tuning companies. We also run a engine dyno and rolling roads

cool, if i were to come to you with a grand what sort of work would i be able to get done on a civic?

mabye lowering a bit and stiffer suspention, bigger breaks and then if theres any money left engine work?

HI Steve,

If you bring the suspension and brakes then i will just charge you for fitting, however i am a dealer in the UK for Bilstein and give a 20% disc to all torque car members!,
engine work is a bit expensive so if you am towards the £1500 i think yo will get more for your money!!

aaah i see :)

um, well when i finally get a car i think i will get the 6th gen civic with a B16B2 VTI engine (thats a vtec isnt it?).

Yes Steve that is a vtec, however the engine is actually the B16A2. Also, my apologies as the second set of adverts you posted are 1.5s vtecs. I thought we were talking about the Coupes. My bad :lol:.