Volvo S40 2.0d tuning project

Don’t have any..lol…anyways..how did you get on tuning that Peugeot if I remember rightly?…

Oh that one is a long story, it's still all on the drawing board and i can't make up my mind... I'm in the process of actually opening a car shop so that's when i'll begin working on it but until then i have to make a difficult decision on how to approach the car. I dont know where to even begin lol

Mostly electrical stuff with some computer stuff sprinkled on top of it. Would love to learn more about car mechanics too but it will take time.

More like repairs and servicing if need be, checked the dyno prices these days and it seems like they are about 5 to 10 gold bars on average... But yeah, i am interested in anything car related if i can afford it that is. The further from my pocket it is, the further it is from my perspective lol

Hello there...it’s been a long journey for me!..it appears no one tunes this engine beyond stage one maps..the stock map sensor is rated at 2bar which is pants..lol..I managed to find a 3.1 bar which believe it or not is an upgrade for a Fiesta 1.6TDCI..it’s a direct fit..give NB styling a call on 01747 445097..That’s where I got it from...have your fuel pump and injectors tested as they should provide adequate fuelling up to 300BHP plus...I had mine refurbished at AP diesels,give Danny a call on 01784 437228 and tell him Greg told you to call..I was having fuelling issues above 4000RPM,the rail pressure was dropping off..turned out the solenoids in the pump were faulty..if I hadn’t done any mods the fuel pump would have been fine for normal stage one stuff but because of all the mods ie..hybrid turbo, bigger intercooler and more boost it just couldn’t provide the fuel...we have now maxed the uprated map sensor out but my mapper says there’s no point trying to find a bigger one as the hybrid turbo will only churn another 15BHP out or so?..all in all it’s turned the car into a proper sleeper....hope that’s been some help..also just wondering..what sort of power are you hoping to achieve?..if you’re wanting more than around 235BHP you’ll need a bigger turbo than an hybrid...
Hi! I m writting from Romania. So you are saying that the bone stock injectors can handle 300hp?? I have read that you will need upgrade nozzles to get 250+ hp

Hi! I m writting from Romania. So you are saying that the bone stock injectors can handle 300hp?? I have read that you will need upgrade nozzles to get 250+ hp
Hi there…well I’m using standard injectors and fuel pump and I’m getting around 250BHP but with the nitrous that’s jumps up another 100BHP or so?….

@Greg1990 Hello Greg! you seems the absolute Genius with the S40 from reading all through these forums! I just got my 2.0D and had the stage 1 Remap done on it! i wanna progress it further and i have read through this forum but what would your advice be on the first couple of upgrades to go for? i am a complete novice in car modding and this is my first car i am attempting to, although i have read through this i am a bit taken back by all the information! any advice would be much much appreciated!!! Many thannks mate, Sam

Hi Sam…as you have read I have done extensive mods to mine but just do the simple things first….you’ve already done the map..now make it breath a bit better with a K&N air filter..have a custom made stainless exhaust to get the gasses out..2.5 inch is more than adequate…fit a bigger intercooler…air tech do upgrades which I believe will be a direct fit?..good luck..

Hi Sam…as you have read I have done extensive mods to mine but just do the simple things first….you’ve already done the map..now make it breath a bit better with a K&N air filter..have a custom made stainless exhaust to get the gasses out..2.5 inch is more than adequate…fit a bigger intercooler…air tech do upgrades which I believe will be a direct fit?..good luck..
Thanks Greg will start off with them ones! Ill keep you updated on how it goes!
Would i be looking at the ST 225 coolers from reading your post in terms of airtec as there isnt one for the s402.0 d from what i can see, this is the closest i could find

https://www.airtecmotorsport.com/pr...2-st-stage-1-225bhp-to-325bhp-gen3-60mm-core/

Last edited:
I’m not totally sure but a friend of mine bought an air tech intercooler that I think was an upgrade for a ford focus ST and it bolted in with no bodywork modifications…I went overboard and fitted an intercooler that was an upgrade for a Nissan skyline GTR!..it’s as big as the radiator and did need a bit of fabrication work to get it in..lol

Thanks again for the reply Greg!! Just got the K&N air filter and lid installed today! Sold my second car so gonna put that into a Stainless exhaust system! Just out of curiosity from what i can find online the Stock exhaust is 58mm 2.3" i struggle to see how 0.2" which is 5mm will make any kind of difference but that just in my head! ill try attach pic of how the cars looking so far! Also if i was to upgrade to stock st225 intercooler would that be sufficient enough ? and would i need a remap after the cooler change or is the stage 1 done that already many thanks!!

Last edited:
I’m not totally sure but a friend of mine bought an air tech intercooler that I think was an upgrade for a ford focus ST and it bolted in with no bodywork modifications…I went overboard and fitted an intercooler that was an upgrade for a Nissan skyline GTR!..it’s as big as the radiator and did need a bit of fabrication work to get it in..lol
Im looking at an upgrade and was wondering how i can get a bigger intercooler in without modifying my crashbar on a facelift S40.

Hi Paskal…like I said above Airtech do an upgrade for the Ford Focus ST which is a direct fit…
Thank You for the reply Greg. I had a look and for some reason the space between my radiator and crashbar is about 45mm.....the Airtec starts at 60mm.....might be a facelift issue, do you have any other suggestion perhabs ? My current setup is running at 187 bhp & 423nm with a standard st225 intercooler.

Oh…you have already upgraded using the Focus ST standard intercooler which is a lot bigger than the standard Volvo one..to be fair the standard Volvo intercooler is good for 200BHP+..a standard Focus ST intercooler should be good up to around 300BHP…I‘m afraid if you want to go bigger then some fabrication work will probably be needed?..it all depends how far you want to go?..the standard turbo won’t go much above 200BHP…Unless you are thinking of fitting an Hybrid turbo the standard ST intercooler should meet your requirements..I doubt you will see any improvement with your current setup by fitting a larger intercooler?..

Oh…you have already upgraded using the Focus ST standard intercooler which is a lot bigger than the standard Volvo one..to be fair the standard Volvo intercooler is good for 200BHP+..a standard Focus ST intercooler should be good up to around 300BHP…I‘m afraid if you want to go bigger then some fabrication work will probably be needed?..it all depends how far you want to go?..the standard turbo won’t go much above 200BHP…Unless you are thinking of fitting an Hybrid turbo the standard ST intercooler should meet your requirements..I doubt you will see any improvement with your current setup by fitting a larger intercooler?..
Thanks for the reply greg, you cleared things up for me because tuners have been saying i need a bigger intercooler. Clearly you have experimented around and made your s40 a real weapon lol. Do you think these specs are enough to run a stage 2, at around 195bhp ?
-gutted cat
-2.5 inch mid pipe with oem res into 2.25inch twin exit exhaust
-pod filter
-egr blank
-st225 intercooler

Y
That’s more than adequate..you only need to go beyond 3 inch exhaust when going above 500BHP..mine is a 2.5 inch custom made stainless with one small silencer in the middle…

Can't wait to get my exhaust done soon!! Been working on the look of the car the last month.

Has anyone here had an issue where between 1800 to 2000rpm in 4th gear the car kinda judders like it's misfiring for only a couple seconds, like it's not able to fuel the power almost ?? Only happens since remap and at optimum temperature and I've been told it may be injectors.

Gonna get the I injectors tested and see but was just wondering if I was the only one

Thanks for the reply greg, you cleared things up for me because tuners have been saying i need a bigger intercooler. Clearly you have experimented around and made your s40 a real weapon lol. Do you think these specs are enough to run a stage 2, at around 195bhp ?
-gutted cat
-2.5 inch mid pipe with oem res into 2.25inch twin exit exhaust
-pod filter
-egr blank
-st225 intercooler
Where would you get a stage 2 remap done ove only ever seen stage 1?? Or is it a custom map

Where would you get a stage 2 remap done ove only ever seen stage 1?? Or is it a custom map
Would be a custom tune with all the extras, like hardcut limiter n lambda delete. Im in talks with three tuners in the midlands which are:
Dynodaze
Profile Tuning
Midland Remaps
Im yet to decide who i will go with. Maybe greg can jump in and let us know about his tuner lol.

I also experienced fuelling issues when I got deeper in to the modifications..AP diesel (01784 432228) rebuilt my fuel pump and refurbished the injectors and that sorted that out..The only tuner I trust is Paul Murray at RS Tuning in Leeds..Look him up online..he custom maps on the rolling road..non of that generic rubbish off of a laptop!..Tell him Greg with the red Volvo recommended him to you…My friend Jo also builds custom stainless exhaust ..give him a call 07832 187705 and again mention my name ..We are in the West Yorkshire area..I except we are a couple of hours drive from where you are but the people I’m recommending are the best in the business..Paul is so revered for his knowledge of mapping that he goes to Australia every year to tune cars there!…let me know how you get on..

Call me thick but what is a “smf” conversion?…lol
Basically our platform runs a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) and you can convert it to a Single Mass Flywheel (SMF), looking into it because my current dmf is engaging poorly and i might get a higher life on the smf…not sure about the performance aspect tho hence why i asked.

Last edited:
No worries..believe it or not I’m running the standard flywheel and clutch assembly which has done 160,000 miles and is still working perfectly…lol..

Non whatsoever!…just replaced an engine mount with a standard one. Was thinking of polly bushing but was advised not to bother as they can make the suspension a bit harsh…

Anyways, was at dynodaze made 191bhp and 310 ft lb on a custom dyno map. Runs very nice with the popcorn but annoyingly the exhaust now produces a loud choo noise in every gear throughout the rev range :/

I had a custom stainless exhaust made..straight through at first but it sounded like a tractor! So we added a small silencer and now sounds great…

The results are bittersweet!...195BHP!...the map sensor is only a 2 bar one and the hybrid turbo is maxing it out..looking at the graph from the new map and old map it is over 40BHP increase from 3,800RPM and carries on all the way to the red line..looking to find a 4 bar map sensor to let that turbo do its stuff..the journey carries on..lol
is t
Yes..the injection point is before the map sensor...they charged me £210 to rebuild the pump and I also had them rebuild my injectors at £120 each..not cheap but I was safe in the knowledge that I wouldn’t be having any further fuelling issues...here’s a few pics of the methanol setup..View attachment 8186View attachment 8187View attachment 8188
if i was to put this 3.1 bar map sensor on my already mapped 2.0d would it work fine or does it need to be programmed

You won’t find a bigger map sensor than 3.1 bar..I’m running over 28psi of boost and my map sensor is 3.1 bar and it’s more than adequate…the map sensor is actually for a 1.6 Fiesta TDC…look through this string and it will tell you w to get one from..

You won’t find a bigger map sensor than 3.1 bar..I’m running over 28psi of boost and my map sensor is 3.1 bar and it’s more than adequate…the map sensor is actually for a 1.6 Fiesta TDC…look through this string and it will tell you w to get one from..
can i just plug it in and drive or is it more complicated

Yes..it’s a direct fit but I have my car mapped on the rolling road..non of that laptop rubbish!..I’m not sure if you will have to have the car remapped to take full advantage of the new map sensor?…