Volvo S40 2.0d tuning project

Hello everyone - I’ve just joined this forum as I’m heavily modifying a 2007 S40 2.0d for fast road / occasional track day use. I’m planning to do most of the mods outlined in this thread (not Nitrous Oxide…). One question - do I need to upgrade the TCV to deal with higher boost pressures? I’ve read on the IPD website that the stock TCV struggles to cope with boost pressures above about 16psi…

No worries..I hope this thread helps you in your journey…I started modding mine around 5 years ago and there was very little in the way of information or advice!..I basically went at it blind but have ended up with a very very capable car that shocks all those that come up against it!..lol..

No worries..I hope this thread helps you in your journey…I started modding mine around 5 years ago and there was very little in the way of information or advice!..I basically went at it blind but have ended up with a very very capable car that shocks all those that come up against it!..lol..
Thanks for documenting so much of the journey Greg - I'm not sure I'd have known where to start were it not for this forum thread. I'm a very experienced mechanic, but a rookie when it comes to diesel engines - all my tuning projects thus far have been on petrol cars (my diesel experience to date has been limited to Land Rovers and tractors !)

I've no doubt I'll have a few more questions as I progress with the car !

No worries..I’ll do my best to point you in the right direction…this thread is 5 pages long so I’m sure it will answer most of your questions?..lol..

Exhaust question - Can an S40 T5 exhaust like the one below be made to fit the 2.0d? I'd rather avoid a full bespoke build - and could re-use this exhaust on a c30 T5 project that my son is considering as a future project. Obviously the rear valance will need modifying or replacing... This approach would mean all I needed to bespoke would be the cat section from the turbo - so it mates up properly with the turbo flange. Would likely use a straight pipe or dummy cat for this part.

https://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.ph...s40_3__performance_sport_exhaust_system__fwd_

No worries..I’ll do my best to point you in the right direction…this thread is 5 pages long so I’m sure it will answer most of your questions?..lol..
Intercooler Hard Pipes : Anyone know if the T5 hard pipe kits that are available can be tweaked to fit the 2.0d? Is this a cheaper route than getting a bespoke set made up? Or just replacing with 'good' silicon pipes designed for the car..?

I’ve fitted H&R 30mm lowering springs with bilstein dampers..the ride is exactly the same as stock but with less body roll…

Intercooler Hard Pipes : Anyone know if the T5 hard pipe kits that are available can be tweaked to fit the 2.0d? Is this a cheaper route than getting a bespoke set made up? Or just replacing with 'good' silicon pipes designed for the car..?

This silicon pipe kit works very nice with the gravity performance highflow st225 intercooler.

Also recently switched maps to a hdi tuning stage 2 map promising 195 bhp havent been on the dyno yet but feels very strong indeed. Highly recommended for anyone wanting the max out their stock 1749 turbo.

Exhaust Question… Will a 2WD T5 exhaust (from the cat exit flange backwards) fit a 2.0D with minor modification? I know the rear valance will need altering to accommodate the twin pipes..
Thinking of going down this route rather than having one made up for the car..

Exhaust Question… Will a 2WD T5 exhaust (from the cat exit flange backwards) fit a 2.0D with minor modification? I know the rear valance will need altering to accommodate the twin pipes..
Thinking of going down this route rather than having one made up for the car..
I tried the same initially, with modifications to the hangers and the joint. Worked fine, no noise just for looks. Issue is that the T5s flow so much that the back box restricts a lot on the 2.0d platforms. Also if you got a pre facelift you might have the 2.25 inch midpipe which is gonna need a conversion to 2.5 inch to accommodate for the new T5 backbox.

I tried the same initially, with modifications to the hangers and the joint. Worked fine, no noise just for looks. Issue is that the T5s flow so much that the back box restricts a lot on the 2.0d platforms. Also if you got a pre facelift you might have the 2.25 inch midpipe which is gonna need a conversion to 2.5 inch to accommodate for the new T5 backbox.
Thanks - this is very helpful. Sounds like I need to re-think…

So - I’d welcome anyone’s thoughts on the optimum performance exhaust for the 2.0D?

The ’spec’ for the car is the following:

- the car’s a 2007 S40 model - it’s being prepped for a ‘fast road’ pan-European road trip (2,500 miles) - so exhaust noise levels need to be ‘sensible’ (ie no ear plugs.. :) )
- Engine being modified to deliver 200 - 215hp and loads of torque
- The existing exhaust is scrap - so the entire system will be replaced (with a dummy cat or de-cat pipe)
- Car will be track-day’ed after we’ve finished the road trip (if engine survives) - again, noise limits need to be sensible if we’re not to get scrutineering issues..

One option is to custom build a system though re-purposing an off the shelf performance exhaust may be a cheaper option.

Thoughts welcome !

And they don’t cost the earth…my friend builds them as part of his business…he’s called Jo..give him a ring..07832 187705 and tell him Greg gave you his number…

And they don’t cost the earth…my friend builds them as part of his business…he’s called Jo..give him a ring..07832 187705 and tell him Greg gave you his number…
Sounds like the way to go. I’m based in Bristol so it might be a bit of a trek to get to your mate’s place…. There’s a good rolling road / bespoke exhaust place quite near to me that I‘ve used for my my classic car tuning projects so might give them a try for the exhaust and an an initial base map..

We are near Wakefield in West Yorkshire which is a far old treck but he is very reasonable on prices and could be worth a tank of fuel?..get some quotes from your side then give him a call..you may be surprised?..

Thanks - this is very helpful. Sounds like I need to re-think…

So - I’d welcome anyone’s thoughts on the optimum performance exhaust for the 2.0D?

The ’spec’ for the car is the following:

- the car’s a 2007 S40 model - it’s being prepped for a ‘fast road’ pan-European road trip (2,500 miles) - so exhaust noise levels need to be ‘sensible’ (ie no ear plugs.. :) )
- Engine being modified to deliver 200 - 215hp and loads of torque
- The existing exhaust is scrap - so the entire system will be replaced (with a dummy cat or de-cat pipe)
- Car will be track-day’ed after we’ve finished the road trip (if engine survives) - again, noise limits need to be sensible if we’re not to get scrutineering issues..

One option is to custom build a system though re-purposing an off the shelf performance exhaust may be a cheaper option.

Thoughts welcome !
The easiest and cheapest way to get to that power level with the supporting mods is actually quite easy and accessible.

- get injectors and fuel pump tested otherwise you might limb mode, if they need refurbishing, greg got a guy.

- buy the 1752 turbo from xman turbos part number: 7607441752 (£500)

- gravity performance st225 highflow intercooler (£170)

- jspperformance intercooler silicon hose kit ebay part number 155104095647 (£151) (dont use oem boost pipes they like to rip past 2bar boost, or go for bestoke metal boost pipes if cheaper)

- 2.5 inch stainless steel catback with twin exit (£500-600) @ rjperformance in Birmingham or Custom chrome in coventry about 90 miles from bristol

- map can be custom but i personally recommend hdi tuning for price and performance because they mainly focuses on psa cars. (£200 online service map for the stage 3 1752 turbo upgrade, which can produce 210 to 220 bhp depending on engine health)

- if you go for hdi tuning you can purchase a kess v2 clone and map it yourself in 5-10 minutes for £60 ( i done it too for my stage 2)

- please also do suspension mods

Hope this helps you out :)

The easiest and cheapest way to get to that power level with the supporting mods is actually quite easy and accessible.

- get injectors and fuel pump tested otherwise you might limb mode, if they need refurbishing, greg got a guy.

- jspperformance intercooler silicon hose kit ebay part number 155104095647 (£151) (dont use oem boost pipes they like to rip past 2bar boost, or go for bestoke metal boost pipes if cheaper)

- 2.5 inch stainless steel catback with twin exit (£500-600) @ rjperformance in Birmingham or Custom chrome in coventry about 90 miles from bristol

- map can be custom but i personally recommend hdi tuning for price and performance because they mainly focuses on psa cars. (£200 online service map for the stage 3 1752 turbo upgrade, which can produce 210 to 220 bhp depending on engine health)

- if you go for hdi tuning you can purchase a kess v2 clone and map it yourself in 5-10 minutes for £60 ( i done it too for my stage 2)

Thanks for this - really helpful suggestions.

- My injectors and turbo getting the ‘Greg‘ treatment (refurb and hybrid rebuild respectively)
- Gravity intercooler on the shopping list
- Exhaust suggestion sounds great
- Will look into hdi tuning - sounds like a sensible approach though will also read around the Kess clone (not swapped out an ECU before)

Suspension and brake mods are well advanced - both subframes currently off the car and mid-rebuild with updated coil overs and big (4 pot) front brakes. ‘Frankenbrake’ rears, utilising Mazda 5 caliper bracket, and Focus RS 302mm discs. Will probably fit road style poly bushes as well.

Also installing a bigger rear anti roll bar (25.4mm dia).

Should be quite fun when finished :)

Thanks for this - really helpful ! I’ve posted a longer response but its awaiting moderator approval..

I had a few issues with the boost pipes!..constantly blowing off!..we eventually solved it..welding a few little nipples around the edges of the pipes for the silicone pipe to grip and putting double circlips all round…

Thanks for this - really helpful suggestions.

- My injectors and turbo getting the ‘Greg‘ treatment (refurb and hybrid rebuild respectively)
- Gravity intercooler on the shopping list
- Exhaust suggestion sounds great
- Will look into hdi tuning - sounds like a sensible approach though will also read around the Kess clone (not swapped out an ECU before)

Suspension and brake mods are well advanced - both subframes currently off the car and mid-rebuild with updated coil overs and big (4 pot) front brakes. ‘Frankenbrake’ rears, utilising Mazda 5 caliper bracket, and Focus RS 302mm discs. Will probably fit road style poly bushes as well.

Also installing a bigger rear anti roll bar (25.4mm dia).

Should be quite fun when finished :)
Really good stuff, glad i could help out somewhat. Forgot to mention that the map sensor does need changing to the delphi 2.2tdci one which is around £60. Honestly, if your ecu is accessible i would post it to save the headache of mapping it yourself if you interested in hdi tuning. I think greg got a 1756 with a meth kit and custom tuning, and that could be an alternative if you want more power.

I had a few issues with the boost pipes!..constantly blowing off!..we eventually solved it..welding a few little nipples around the edges of the pipes for the silicone pipe to grip and putting double circlips all round…
Have you ever tried mikalor hose clamps ?, those are very tough but im guessing the welding sorted it now.