Volvo C70 Vertical doors

MaTroy23

Wrench Pro
Car
Volvo C70 SE 2.0 D
Hello
I get that Lambo doors are not for everyone however they are for me :)

I have recently bought a 2009 Volvo C70 SE 2.0 D. I am thinking of fitting a vertical (lambo) door kit to it. I am interested in the motorised ones that come with a remote. You press the button and the doors automatically go up or down. This is by far not only the coolest of them but aparently it makes closing the door when your in the car easier.

Has anyone done this? does anyone know the best kits to buy? I am in the UK and I can only find American companys selling them for my car.

Hello

I have recently bought a 2009 Volvo C70 SE 2.0 D. I am thinking of fitting a vertical (lambo) door kit to it. I am interested in the motorised ones that come with a remote. You press the button and the doors automatically go up or down. This is by far not only the coolest of them but aparently it makes closing the door when your in the car easier.

Has anyone done this? does anyone know the best kits to buy? I am in the UK and I can only find American companys selling them for my car.

Do you have a choice of whether the doors go up or down?? :D

http://www.lambodoors.co.uk/

you jest but you can get doors that go down as well!
they are called invisible doors or rotary doors
Also, Lambodoors.co.uk don't do conversions for Volvos

Last edited:
if you want scissor doors, buy a lambo, i feel you would be a laughing stock if you did that to a Volvo.

if you want scissor doors, buy a lambo, i feel you would be a laughing stock if you did that to a Volvo.

You are probably right about the scissor doors Colin, but those fold in doors are a marvellous idea in my opinion :)

I agree Oz, although I seem to remember that there was a problem with them, which is why you don't see them about.

Ok so opinion aside, we have established there is absolutely no downside to putting them on the car as it dose not effect safety, performance, or the outward look of the car. And as they can be removed and stock hinges put back on, they do not devalue the car.

The question was:

not
what do you think of them, as i started this conversation with:

I know a lot of people dislike them and I respect your opinion, your not wrong, your just different. So lets repect my opinion and find people that have them, like them, and know what to look out for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far scissor-doors.com seem my best bet. they will custom build them to just bolt on and they have a good reputation for quality. they are not cheep but then I would rather pay a premium and get it right.

there are 2 main types of hinge, Weld on and bolt on. As I am an ex mechanic but don't have access to a kitted out workshop the bolt on option is the route that I'm opting for. Also I can re fit the stock hinges if i sell the car.

Are you sure they don't compromise the safety of the car, Volvo have sips (side impact protection) built into the doors, which I would assume is integrated into the original hinge points.

the doors sit in the same place when the door is closed. infact the hinge is more heavy duty than the original hinge. so no, there is no compromise on safety. you can also open the doors like regular doors so there is no issue with multi story carparks. The only difference is you have the option to open them upwards as well.

@MaTroy23, have a good chat with the people you are thinking of purchasing the kit from buddy, ask them if the kit has been fitted before to the C70 and if they know of any issues. A chap I know fitted a Lambo kit to a Saab 9-3 convertible a few years ago. It looked great when he finished and showed it off for the first time at a Save Our Saab rally in Bedford, drew the crowds in that's for sure. But, after a while he started to get some annoying creaks and groans from the door area, then the doors started to mess about when closing. It turns out that the geometry of the doors when in the up position was putting too much weight on a certain area and the car did not like it. The chap then spent another £1500 if memory serves having additional work done and all this on top of the huge money getting the kit fitted in the first place, he sold it soon afterwards.

So in the interests of you're wallet my friend, please do some more research before you take the plunge ;)

@T9Man that is good advice. All the places on line either don't have a kit for my car or they say they will build me a kit. Which either means people use universal kits or more realistically no one has put vertical doors on a C70 before. This is definitely not a quick purchase, flash in the pan idea.

Has any one else had problems with stresses on the anchor points? I get that this has happened to your friend with the Saab, I'm just trying to understand how. To me the entire weight of the door is on the hinge mount weather it opens outwards or upwards. and I don't see how the stress changes between the 2 motions. if you open a door outwards you still have a downwards and outward force on the hinge. Lambo doors open slightly outward as well.

Any thoughts?

I have no idea of the in's and out's of the case buddy, just that he got grief! :( He too wanted to be the first to have it done, and I know only to well on my own continuing project what being first to do something can mean expense wise as everything is a learning circle. I look forward to following your project anyway and I wish it well |B