Volvo 850

the oil appears to be pressuring upwards and coming out of the oil filler and going over the engine. this is my husbands car and I am trying to help him. We are OAP's and just want to know if repairs to the car would cost more than its value ( M reg) but in excellent condition otherwise.
Thank you for any help.

Agreed. If the oil pressure is building up like that then something is probably blocked. The old oil can be flushed out.

It is possible that the filler cap is just getting lose and allowing seepage in which case a new filler cap from a breakers yard is all you need. It would be handy to get an oil pressure reading and see if it is going off the scale.

Are there any noises or power losses?

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars - nice to have you along.

car was serviced last year* , oil is coming out of the oil filler cap.No noises or any other signs.Rang a garage for advice , they said it, ' oh, it will be the piston rings* that have gone ', and went on to say it was too big a job and not worth it on an M reg car.!
Hence the appeals for advice on this forum !!

Last edited:
There are a few additives that may help a little by preventing blow by. Another thing to look into is did the garage use the correct grade of oil? Do you know what the handbook recommends and which oil the garage used.

One additive is made by Morays and it will condition the oil. It worked for me in a car which had rattly tappets and was leaking oil.

I doubt that piston rings would cause this - you will tend to get a lot of blue smoke if it is the piston rings.

You can test the piston rings etc by doing a compression test. As power is not down this further indicates to me that it is not the piston rings.

So what did you end up doing with this? Did you get it sorted? I hope you did! I am all for saving as many 850, 940 and 960's as possible and keeping them on the road. It's a nicer place with them on it! :)

There's more than one ring on each piston. It's possible for the oil scraper ring to have failed yet still keep full compression. Again though - blue smoke would result.

EGR valve blocking can cause excess crank pressure. As can using oil that is thicker than recommended.

ah right so im not going mad, performance manifolds for these are rare as rocking horse #!#!#!#!,the only reason I was looking to uprgade it is because mine had a got a hole in it and has turned into a mobile gas chamber,it sounds pretty awesome though so not all bad.

Thanks for the help HDI,much appreciated!

whats the pcv system? mines was doing the same thing but i replaced the filler cap from a second motor i had. stopped leaking oil but shes got over 180K on the clock, no service history so am up for replacing anything that needs replacing.