Very high performance fuels

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do high performance fuels make a difference?

What about Meth/Alcohol based fuels? Does the performance gain they offer warrant using them as a performance upgrade?

What is the most powerful fuel around? Liquid Rocket fuel? and can you run a car engine on this?

Do you run high octane petrols or high cetane diesels.

Do high performance fuels make a difference?
Yes

What about Meth/Alcohol based fuels? Does the performance gain they offer warrant using them as a performance upgrade?
Yes

What is the most powerful fuel around?
Nitromethane carries its own oxygen, so it needs much less atmospheric oxygen to burn. The theoretical ideal or stoichiometric air/fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1. That means, 14.7 pounds of air are needed to burn 1 pound of gas. Methanol, which also carries oxygen, has a stoichiometric ratio of 6.45:1. But with 100 percent nitro, the ratio is 1.7:1! Because the displacement of an engine cylinder is fixed, this means-assuming 100 percent volumetric efficiency (VE)-8.7 times more nitromethane than gasoline can be burned during one combustion cycle.(cut from hotrod.com)

Liquid Rocket fuel? and can you run a car engine on this?
No

Do you run high octane petrols or high cetane diesels.[/QUOTE]
Yes (well, I will)

I've whored around with various fuels. I do have a liking for BP Ultimate Diesel as it calms down the slightly 'industrial' (powerful but not overly refined) nature of the Passat's PD engine. You're certainly aware of the fact you're driving 4 cylinder diesel car. What I like about the PD engines is the crude 'all at once' torque delivery. In an obscure way it's fun to drive.

I am unconvinced of any gains in fuel economy. BP Ultimate Diesel has a better cetane rating than standard diesel but it also has a slightly lower calorific value.

Speaking of petrol cars my Primera liked Shell's Optimax (which was replaced in the market about ten years ago by V-Power).

The BMW was happiest on plain 95RON unleaded, higher octane fuel offered no benefit in this car.

I've never really been a fan of supermarket fuel.

I am much the same as HDI as I use BP fuel in both my diesel 4by and Starion .I add a dose of injector cleaner to the diesel and Lucas octane booster to the petrol Starion each fill.

I also fill at a busy main road servo so there is less chance of getting old stale fuel.

I never really thought cheap basic fuel was bad but when you can really notice a difference when you use premium fuels and your MPG improves the case is made.

Has anyone come up with a race diesel formulation yet?

High octane petrol is said to be a denser heavier fuel but is generally a waste of your hard earned using it in a car not built for it .

High octane petrol is said to be a denser heavier fuel but is generally a waste of your hard earned using it in a car not built for it .

It's not denser at all. Higher octane petrol burns more slowly than lower octane petrol. It's often the case that higher octane petrol has lower calorific value than 'standard' petrol.

Not quite true Shell unleaded has a density of 0.72g/cm3 and VPower 0.75Gg/cm3

BP E10 91 RON 0.74 BP Ultimate 98 RON 0.76

The tecs tell me that it has to be denser so it produces more energy.

I understand that the 98 burns slower which helps reduce detonation knock than lower octane fuel and that octane booster helps the slower burn as well as push the RON number a bit higher as well.

Last edited:
The Brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) will tell you the fuel that will make the most Power.
The Manufacturer can tell you this. Normal Pump Fuel is .6 , E85, C85 & E98 is around .8 & the most Powerfull Ethanol based fuel is FTW Purple around .9. Methanol is streets ahead at 1.2. This is a subject ive spent a lot of time on. Methanol will make you the Power but its a pig to deal with. I will probably use Methanol on the Dyno & FTW Purple in the car.

^^ Thanks for that Rod, if you get a moment could you post up another engine picture of the Cosworth, assuming off course that you won't be giving away any secrets until it's next flight up the runway :)

T9
on this thread or a new post. Im always aware this is not a Ford site & my car may be of little interest to other marques.

Here would be good if it's not too much trouble Rod. I am a Saab owner yet I appreciate quality engines in whatever form it comes in and yours is without doubt something special |B

Race fuels have octane rating of up to 120. It means you can add lots more ignition to create more Power before det/pinking. Then they add in additives like toluene to create an even bigger bang. My preferred fuel is an Ethanol/toluene mix they get expensive at £35 a gallon but produce the goods if your aim is Power.

I have a friend/co-worker. He has a PhD in Radiochemistry. He said to stay the F#### away from nitromethane. I don't doubt your science. There will definitely be a gain in power, but with an exponential gain in danger.