vectra throttle response

michaelbrowne

Car
vectra estate 1.8
hello i have a vectra estate sri 1.8 on a 07 plate petrol; it was serviced at vauxhalls last month it can be sluggish, has flat spots, slow to accelerate seems to be a delay before it responds, generally its sluggish in most gears and takes a while to get through them but when i am on the motorway it is perfect, the vehicle has allways performed this way so i tend to put up with it, im not after breaking the speed barrier but would like to know how to get a more immeadiate response from the accellerator any help or advice? cheers mike

hello i have a vectra estate sri 1.8 on a 07 plate petrol; it was serviced at vauxhalls last month it can be sluggish, has flat spots, slow to accelerate seems to be a delay before it responds, generally its sluggish in most gears and takes a while to get through them but when i am on the motorway it is perfect, the vehicle has allways performed this way so i tend to put up with it, im not after breaking the speed barrier but would like to know how to get a more immeadiate response from the accellerator any help or advice? cheers mike

What was replaced in the service?

they classed it as the main service cost £229 (2nd service)at vauxhalls car has done 20,000 miles from new ill go and get the service book and let you no

replaced parts element filter, filter element,o-ring, clip, filter fuel, oil,

the engine is strange aswell ( to me anyway ) when changeing 1st and 2nd gear it revs higher when the clutch is dipped allthough my foot is no were near the accellerator , i believe this is standard but again it is a bit of a pain but i have got use to it

Last edited:
Is it drive by wire ? funny feeling it should be on an 07 plate. these can have a delay in them, you can get sprint boosters which plug into the back of the throttle pedal which are supposed to make it more responive. but never tried them at nearly £200 its a bit steep

post got moderated because it contained a link.

that looks like the thing there and Yugguys right have a look at the trottle body if its a thickish wire thats on the valve then its good old fashioned cable throttle. if its a connection block then its DBW

just looked cant see anything what item will it connect to

the only pipes that seem to come from the footwell and go on or towards the engine are about 12/15mm thick

Last edited:
no you need to look at the throttle body on the inlet manifold for a wiring plug or a thick cable,
from what ive read on the sprint booster the accelerator has to come out and its fitted to the actual potentiometer itself

i have just got my son to rev the engine while i looked under the hood there is no mechinical cable operating the accelerator..... it is a cable about 10mm thick and is connected to something with small cables

bonnet i meant , so do you think the item on ebay would be worth buying or not , i cant find any people who have bought the item for a vauxhall.. but the buyers i contacted of audi porsche bmw the more powerful cars all stated that they felt a considerable difference

I've had an X-reg Vectra, 2.6V6, and it was drive by wire, a while back, and even with a dbw you should still be able to manually open the butterfly valve at the inlet and see how the engine responds.

Might also be worth just disconnecting the battery for an hour or so, this might reset the ECU to generic settings. Just make sure you have the radio code...

DONT TRY AND OPEN THE BUTTERFLY VALVE ON THE THROTTLE BODY if its DBW you will damage the stepper motor

to be honest mate ive no idea theres a member on here that had one on a BMW. but apart from that the only reviews id read were on the sprint boosters website

i have read various articles about the newish vectras and the owners all seem to have stated this 1/2 sec delay before accelerating i took it back within a month and it was test driven by the mechanic and he said thats how it should operate/drive. i had a 06 astra estate 1.4 in 2006 and it did not have any delay, only that you had to work the gears quite hard on hills. would a k&n filter be any help or would i just be going round in circles

i have contactd buyers of the sprintbooster on ebay about 10 and 6 of them replied with good comments . the description of what it does is exactly my complaint , but as i stated before why would the seller withdraw the vauxhall ones without a reason

i have just received this from another buyer from ebay
hi there mate,

I just love the Sprint Booster, and i bought it first for my BMW E60, and then i bought 4 more from him for 2 Skodas and 1 Toyota, all are performing great, and i think its well worth the money.
in the bmw, merc and audi forums, almost everyone has it!

hope this helps.

Rishan

Last edited:
not that i know of mate, someone else with a vaux might have a better understanding of them. all i can do with the VAG one is fully open then close it to align it - but this has to be done with the engine off

if this is something that needs aligning to cure the problem i could take it back to vauxhalls and ask them to do
it

no the alignments to be done everytime the battery is disconnected otherwise it doesnt hold idle well. actually doesnt need to be done as it will align itself over the next few hundred miles
just really saves you having an erratic idle for a week or so

i doubt it all thats going to do is allow a bigger amount of air through the throttle body. if the pedal or ECUs delay it wont open any quicker