vectra remapping

S

slimzee

Hi, im thinking about getting my ECU remapped on my 1.8 vectra, (petrol), but i dont no if it would make much of a differance?. the acceloration is rubbish on my car, these no g-force. I dont want to add bits onto it, i just want the acceloration to be better.

Ive servised it, cleaned the fuel system, and put some engine restore in the engine, but its still nothing speacial.

Does anyone have any ideas?.

Firstly welcome. Start with basics, chipping is not that great on a nasp engine. Improve the engines breathing via a decent induction kit with a good cold air feed and then go for a sports cat and free flowing exhaust. Cams would be next and then look to get it remapped to suit those mods.

But never forget the handling and braking department, they are as important as more power, same goes for tyres!

hi mate, to be completely honest most big vauxhalls with 1.8 lumps are a bit poo! my old cavalier was same, and so was my vectra.
If you want better acceleration then you do need to let the engine breathe easier, but i would suggest AGAINST using an induction kit, for some reason most vaux engines dont like them and most will tend to lose a little bit of power with one fitted. much better idea is to fit a K&N panel filter and de-restrict and drill the original airbox. as above, make sure it has a decent cold air feed.
You have plenty of options when it comes to the exhaust, cat back, sports cat, or de cat, personally id go for decat every time, but remember you will need to replace the cat for MOT time!
after that, get it remapped and you should find a nice difference in acceleration.

Cams are probably going to be a bit far for you, seeing as you just want better acceleration, consider a lightweight flat flywheel though, as that will help the car rev up quicker too.

Have you ruled out an engine swap? For the money it will be the biggest and best mod you can do. The more you start with the better the return on your tuning investment.

I don't suppose you've got massive wheels on it have you?

Yeh perfect, I've got a 2.0ltr 16v engine complete with loom, ecu, all pipe work and ancilleries. The engine is what came out of my Vectra when I did my turbo conversion and i can garruntee it will only take about 6hrs to swap the engines (thats what it took us to drop[ a Red Top Turbo in and get it to starting point). It's covered only 79,000 miles and is out of a 1999 Vectra. Works perfect and I only want £200 for the lot ;) Need the space with my baby on the way.