vectra not starting

astravanman

Wrench Pro
Car
vectra 2.6 gsi
my vectra will not start for some reason, it turns over when turning the ignition but does not ignite.
i went to check the spark plugs but they were covered in oil.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be and if so how can i resolve it?

Hello mate. Nice easy fix and can be done in about a little under an hour. What has caused this is the faliure of the rocker cover gasket. They are roughly £15-20 depending on the engine. Plus a new set of plugs. IIRC theres about 10 bolts to undo, remove cover, replace gasket and refit in the sequence shown on the gasket pack (make sure you get a genuine vauxhall one as they are a bit better. then fit your new plugs. The oil will drain into the combustion area but will burn off quite quickly.

thanks for the info bad63r. i have now removed and cleaned out the gasket and plug area as best as can be done then replaced with the new gasket and the plugs but the car still wont start. i have tried turning it over for a couple minutes now but still no ignition. is there something i have missed out or do i just keep turning the car over until it starts now.
i took care not to disturb anything inside the block whilst i was replacing the gasket ect and the car was running fine the night before this happened