Vectra 2.0 16v Modifications

makkatini

Hi all,

This is my first time here, so thanks in advance for any help.
I have a 98 Vectra 5 door with about 70,000 miles on it. It is due a new exhaust and shocks, so I got thinking, why not spend a few extra quid and do some mods. Can I get some help as to the best options for a budget of around £1000
I was thinking:

1. New free-flow exhaust, but not a complete system
2. Lowering the car, so new springs and shocks
3. Induction Kit (which brand?)
4. Superchip

Now I am not sure the Superchip is needed, as I have heard some negative things about it on non-turbo vehicles.
Where is the best place to get these things fitted? There are a lot of websites that offer the goods at a good price, but I need them fitted in the Berkshire/Surrey area

My eventual plan will be to take this to a few track days and have some fun!

Thanks

Jason

ps. I might be watching too much Pimp my Ride and Wrecks to Riches...

Shocks are a good idea. Adjustable ones are best and let you play with the best setting. An exhaust and induction kit are also a good bet but I would probably stick with a panel air filter replacement unless of course you want the induction noise.

I like that idea, a panel filter is cheaper and easier to fit.
What would you recommend in terms of brands for the shocks and exhaust?
I will probably go with a K&N filter

Unfortunatly mate, £1000 to spend wont see you passed 10bhp extra at the most if you want exhaust and suspension work.

I would suggest you do the same as what I did and spare no expense and go flat out for the best setup for your car. I was told by Courtenay Sport that Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks are the best setup you can have for a Vauxhall and wont cost you any more than £250 for the complete set. But i recommend that you ring Courtenay Sport as you wont find that exact setup on the site ;)

Have a search for my "Now it Really Feels Like Xmas" thread and that will tell you more about my setup

So if you go down that route you will have around the £750 mark left to spend which could get you a "Normal Asperated Engine" Stage 1 kit. Which will give you about 9bhp+ and cosists of Remap, Airbox Modifications and a High Flow Sports Panel Filter all for £360 fitted ;)

But you could go for the Stage 2 kit which will give you 20bhp+, cost £695 fitted and consists of the same as stage 1 but you also get a set of Performance Sports Cams and will leave you £50 to fill the tank ;)

There is no certain set of items to stick to when tuning. It's all down to what the driver wants at the end of the day. As another route you could go down it gettin a 6 speed gear box from a Calibra Turbo and then getting an uprated clutch. Which would give you silly power off the line and yet you have tuned the engine.

But like I say, it's really down to what you want the car to do, more power, more ability to deliver the power, top end speed or 0-60 speed.

If i were you i would study the "ATMO TUNING" page of tuning section on www.courtenaysport.co.uk

Thanks for the advice, I will research that thread. I am going to do some mods and then head off for some airfield and track days. The vectra is worth next to nothing now, so it is going to become a "toy"