Vauxhall Corsa C Gear Linkage

jon121

Tuner
Car
corsa c 12v
iv heard this is a common problem with the corsa but the other day my gears started to go abit funny. iv done a bit of research on this and apparently its a very common problem with the gear linkage. iv been quoted £100 for the part + labour at my local garage. does anyone know hard it would be to change it mysself? coz i can buy a part off ebay for about £40. cheers

i dont know tbf. basically 1st,2nd and reverse dont work proparly. sometimes it feels like your in 2nd but your actuallly in 4th, and sometimes i go to first and its actually in reverse. everyone on forums say its the gear linkage apparently vauxhall made this part out of plastic instead of metal and thats whats causing the problem. i believe this is the part i need: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260483131511&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

if it is then is this easy to fit? i spoke to my friend who has been a mechanic apprentice for 2years and he says it shouldnt be that hard so we're guna have a go, but id rather not if it's just going to be a bodge job lol

gear linkage is normally just bolted in place and cable/ rods attached.

if it is this and your mate can change this then i think he really needs to think about changing his career

lol so you recon its easy enough to do it ourselves? because i really dont fancy paying labour charge. is that usually that part would go do you think? or is it more likely to be something more complex do you know?

sorry no idea mate.
ive looked at changing mine on the bora for a TT one as its a shorter throw guides show it as a 15min job providing you mark up the cable etc

I had this with my old Corsa. It wouldn't go into reverse. All I did was to pop the linkage back in place and then tie it up so it couldn't pop out again. Simple and free fix.

probably sounds like a stupid question but where abouts is the part that needs popping back into place so i can have a look. is it like behind the engine block or what? cheers

probably sounds like a stupid question but where abouts is the part that needs popping back into place so i can have a look. is it like behind the engine block or what? cheers

Look down the middle, at the back. Get someone to shift the gears for you and you'll see it moving.

thanks alot guys i'll have a look tonight. its booked in for the garage tomorrow for a whole new linkage for £100 hopeully its just slipped out and doesnt need the whole part! thanks again

Got it back the other day with an invoice for £150 but i dont mind because it works a treat. feels good to change gears smoothly again lol. new problem tho, just started a new thread for it. Its gone back to the garage today for a CV joint and possibly a driveshaft? been quoted £50 for CV joint and £150 for driveshaft +labour. hopefully its just the cv joint, but i shall find out today :|