Vauxhall Astra VXR

Rstra

Wrench Pro
Car
Passat 1.9TDi
At the moment, I'm 18 (19 next week) and I have a 2000 1.9 TDi Passat, the insurance on that as a named driver is around £900 a year.

Do you think I could afford to insure a 2L Turbo Astra VXR at 19 as a named driver? Anyone think it would be over or under £1500 a year?

to be honest why a named driver ? if your the named driver and found to be driving the car in the main then your insurance is null and void. beware as some companies dont allow named drivers to commute to work.

but i wouldnt be surprised to find quotes for around your mark as a named driver with someone with a clean license and max no claims bonus

new scale is made up of 50. think mines is around 34 as well so it would be 17 or 18 on the old system

edit mines was 17 on the old one and is now 32. so the astra could well have been a high 17 or low 18

I think it'll cost a small fortune.

Don't go for the named driver trick - it's an old one and underwriters are getting wise to this.

Not that a subsequent claim will automatically be refuted but you might have to fight your case.

Is it worth the stress and worry? Probably not. Especially so as you're looking to start business in the motor trade.

No well when I'm 19 (next week) I shall be going on my own policy and declare that I'm using the car for business too.
My friend has a VXR and he's 20 and its £800 a year for him, just a dream really, I couldnt never afford a VXR yet anyway :p

Oh, would anyone be able to suggest any cheap insurance companies? I've found that sites like moneysupermarket are just a rip off.. One quote I got for being 18, been driving for a year on a 1L Fiat Seicento was £1800 a year.

put it this way, im 20 and my renault clio is group 16 and i pay £1600, i rang adrian flux and they quoted me £1200 for when i turn 21, with four years no claims. so if you just go along with that really, if it helps,

No well when I'm 19 (next week) I shall be going on my own policy and declare that I'm using the car for business too.
My friend has a VXR and he's 20 and its £800 a year for him, just a dream really, I couldnt never afford a VXR yet anyway :p

[oldman mode]
Kids these days, no patience, everything has to be now, blah, mutter, grumble.
[/oldman mode]

Seriously, get a remap for your passat for a bit more grunt and then wait a year or two til you get better insurance.

if you want to start your own company up doing mechanics i would stick with the passat

why spend little money you have on a car that will get dirty
when you can spend some money on some tools and a few covers for the boot of the passat

Yeah I shall be doing that :). My girlfriend's dad said if I paid him a bit of money I could use his unit you could probably fit about 5/6 cars in there. It's about 5 minutes away from the centre of the town. Made my day, now I can do mobile repairs/service and if it's raining, the person can bring the car to my new "garage" :p

At the moment, I'm 18 (19 next week) and I have a 2000 1.9 TDi Passat, the insurance on that as a named driver is around £900 a year.

Do you think I could afford to insure a 2L Turbo Astra VXR at 19 as a named driver? Anyone think it would be over or under £1500 a year?

Why not be a little more patient as I did until you get a VXR (I have an Astra VXR Racing in red) build up your ncd & like me pay just over £300 for fully comp with all the bells & whistles added?

Saying that I maybe waited a little too long as I'm 53 now!! :lol: