Vauxhall 1.8 air filter

Davijo

Car
58 Zafira 1.8
Hi, I'm new just signed up. Looked a really friendly forum.

My question is this. I own a 58 plate Zafira 1.8 and want to change the air filter, it's as standard the square paper type. I'm not keen on fitting a cone based on what I've read online and also I'm concerned about messing up electronics. Don't want to change it from stock only to get abnormal behaviour while driving, or warning lights. I'm handy with cars just never really done any modifications. I'd ultimately like to improve the look of the engine bay, improve economy and sound to... don't want a monster sound its an mpv lol.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Just replace the filter with a performance panel version. It will allow the engine to breath better with only slightly more noise. Have a look at the ITG range.

I'd ultimately like to improve the look of the engine bay, improve economy and sound to... don't want a monster sound its an mpv lol.

The engine bay looks can be improved considerably, the only limiting factor is your wallet. Replace the hoses with some coloured silicone ones, change the battery cover to something more snazzy, respray some of the plastic trims in a brighter colour etc.
There are lots of companies around with stuff off the shelf so try Demon Tweeks http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/ for some ideas or these chaps who have a good reputation with Vauxhalls http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

To improve economy again this depends on your wallet. You could just do the simple things such as keep the car well serviced and regularly. Make sure the tyre pressures are kept at the optimum pressure.
Or you could have the engine remapped for economy by a professional. There are lots of companies out there who can assist you on this, Celtic Tuning, Viezu and indeed others who advertise on our website.
You can either take the car to them or some of them do a magic box that you plug into your OBD2 port and download the information straight to your ECU and away you go. For even more money, you could have a custom remap done, this will involve you being on a rolling road and the car will be tuned specifically to your requirements and your current hardware.

As for sound :blink: Do you want a slightly more tuned noise or maybe a bit more of a growl? As stated earlier you could change the air filter for a performance version or maybe modify the exhaust by removing a silencer or swapping it for one less restrictive. Again it all comes down to your wallet.

Good luck buddy.

Thanks for the tips guys, really great info. I think I will be trying out the performance panel type filter... from what I've read it seems to be the best option, even only for a slightly growler sound. If It gets annoying I'll get a new standard one. Going to change the exhaust just at the back. Had a look and found a nice subtly styled tip and back box. Don't want to sound like some of the folk driving around here at night, just want a nicer look. Really glad to have joined the foum, very helpful.