Valve lash clearance

aamiraijaz

Car
Suzuki Baleno 1.3L
I have a Suzuki Baleno 1.3 SOHC 16v car. I want to know about valve clearance of intake and exhaust. The factory setting for cold engine is 0.007-0.009in on intake and 0.011-0.013in on exhaust. My 1st question is why the mechanics are going for 0.08 (intake) and 0.10 (exhaust). The 2nd question is why they are setting the valves at a difference 0 0.2 between intake and exhaust when the factory says a difference of 0.4. Also i want to know which would be the best setting for greater fuel economy?

Thanks.

I am guessing that they want bigger clearances on the exhaust side because the higher temperatures make the valve stems expand slightly more. You certainly don't want them too tight otherwise the valves might not seat and seal corrently. This will quickly destroy the engine.

There is only one correct setting for an engine really, unless you've modified with different cam profiles or oversize valves etc.

One question: Why do they need adjustment?

Most engines now are designed so that the wear is even throughout the valve operation drive train and they stay in spec. Also, modern engines wear very very slowly with the advent of synthetic oils and super tight manufacturing tolerances.

I have a Suzuki Baleno 1.3 SOHC 16v car. I want to know about valve clearance of intake and exhaust. The factory setting for cold engine is 0.007-0.009in on intake and 0.011-0.013in on exhaust. My 1st question is why the mechanics are going for 0.08 (intake) and 0.10 (exhaust). The 2nd question is why they are setting the valves at a difference 0 0.2 between intake and exhaust when the factory says a difference of 0.4. Also i want to know which would be the best setting for greater fuel economy?
Thanks.

These engines are fitted,

with hydraulic tappets IIRC. In which case there is no maintenance requirement or provision for adjustment.

What year of manufacture is the engine you are asking about? As maybe some of the older engines were adjustable.
If so,
I would say Suzuki know what they are doing better than ANY local mechanic and making adjustments to an engine in a search for questionable and at best minimal gains that are not validated and approved by the manufacturer may cause serious engine component damage.

There are easier ways to improve economy without touching settings that Suzuki spent millions of dollars on finding the optimum settings and clearances in it's seriously good engine range.