VAGCOM and OBDII tips

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any pointers for using VAGCOM or OBDII interfaces?

I had a play with a Gendam cable and Vagcom on an Audi Allroad(Freeware edition.)

As there was no instructions and I couldn't be arsed to read the online wiki guide I ploughed on regardless. :eek:

It took me a 30 minutes to work out you had to turn on the ignition! :lol::embarrest:

So first step, install interface software, install the diagnostics software and switch on the ignition (but don't run the engine!)

Never use either in car or power adapters on the laptop when connected to the diagnostic port. It can cause a ground loop.

Check pins 4 and 7 of your Audi if you have an aftermarket radio fitted. If the voltage is over 9v you could blow your interface. Under 9V is ok and over 9v is ok if you get a 1v reading when you use a resistor across the pins.)

read the basic guide on the ross tech site. the wiki comes in handy for fault code finding. having the code is usless if you dont now what your then looking for as the cause.

most common one with be a fuel bank 1 to lean / rich code, what would you then look for ? this can be a coil pack on its way out - not enough to trigger a fault for the pack itself but enough to cause a misfire.
damaged worn spark
vac leak
or the most common the bloody MAF sensor

if you have an aftermarket radio use, iirc, the vauxhall iso adaptor even though its an ISO connector on the back . its more or less a straight through but disables the K-line which can should mean that the interface isnt damaged.

registrar the product you unlock alot more info as can view all the measuring blocks rather than just the 1st 20 in each component.

ohh and the most important thing

WRITE EVERY CODE DOWN BEFORE CHANGING IT this way if you get it wrong at least youve still got the original code to put back in.