Vacuum oil extraction

I think you mean oil filters. BMW does the same thing, as does VW. it's just an element rather than a whole metal canister. I don't know whether there are any plus points mechanically, but it does make the filters much cheaper than spin-on type and less metal going into landfill.

I am not sure about vacuum oil extraction. It's been slated online for being less effective than a full gravity drain. It's common in USA where oil and filter changes are performed While-U-Shop at Walmart, for example. America does lean, on occasions, towards the change it often and use the cheapest oil approach. I'm not a fan of this method.

I think it's smart cars which need the oil to be sucked out iirc. Silly design if you ask me.

Not actually used an oil vac pump though. I would say to go for quality rather than buying cheap as with everything in life.

Correctly specified oil is crucial. I don't think our man here has any plans to do otherwise. My point wasn't really designed for his consumption, just a bit of background information.

Lol yes I meant oil filter. Senility setting in now I'm on the slippery slide to 50. :woot: :lol:. Yep I thought this would be a good thread for info. Vacuum draining does seem to be a subject that causes division. But unless you do a proper flush with flushing oil you'll still have crud in the sump pan even with a drain. It would be interesting to see how much a pump got out compared to a drain.

I have a vacuum for the oil and pulled it through the dipstick hole.

Then out of interest and too make sure the vac did its job I removed the sump plug too and drained it.

There was around 300ml left in it but it was thicker than oil, not quite a sludge but definitely thicker.

Now my vac doesn't get used.

That's the best way IMO

BUT BE WARNED that the 5 cylinder diesel motors in some 4x4's have oil pumps that will not self prime if drained for more than 5 minutes :eek:\B

Over here in Australia they are in Ford and Mazda 4x4 utes

I’d never heard of this so I googled it and found they’re using a new type of oil pump with lower output at low revs to reduce crankshaft drag and get more mpg. I can’t understand what they’re playing at, is the vital lubrication of engine parts to be sacrificed on the altar of OEM-claimed fuel consumption figures – which nobody believes anyway? This is madness, I’m reminded of that Top Gear episode where they showed the latest (then) Honda Civic type R and they said Honda had managed to shave a few grams off the gearstick gaiter by making it from some gossamer material. They're Nuts!

Yes, but the figures are an utter fallacy. No one really believes them but no one can stop going through this ridiculous charade. It's a bit like Christmas presents with everyone giving each other stuff that nobody needs and everybody wishing they could stop it and get back to sanity yet no one really knows how.

I used honestjohns real mpg figures when researching the various cars on my list. Yes its totally anecdotal but enough answers are given to round out any daft or extreme figures. I think they give a better idea than the makers figures.

I remember in the old days when I use to get my old oil changed at Kwik Fit, they used a gizmo to suck the oil through the dipstick. This had to be done within 20 minutes of my arriving there or I had to start the car again and run it for 15 minutes to make sure the oil was good and hot and at it's thinnest to go up the tube.