V tec controllers?

srm238

Wrench Pro
Car
97 honda prelude
will they hurt you engine at all and how does it help make your car quicker?

and i ment to say V-Tec sorry everyone i dont know how to change it though

[admin]done it for you - need to click edit 2 times to edit the title!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: V tech controllers?

will they hurt you engine at all and how does it help make your car quicker?

and i ment to say V-Tec sorry everyone i dont know how to change it though
edit post and erase h and type c lol

v-tec controlers were always a queire for me

i cant understand why people install them to a perfectly set up engine
honda spend millions each year reserching vtec and if they were safe to kick in at differant revs, dont you think they would have installed it??

ive heard good and bad things about these

the good
the longer it takes for vtec to kick in, yhe stronger the pull, vtecs hp are at peak when in vtec = 220 bhp at 5,200 rpm, so installing a controller to kick in at lets say 4000rpm, its at that point you'll have the full bhp of the car, its this is why vtecs are economical, no vtec= not the full bhp
so in my eyes your just unleashing the full bhp earlier than normal

so i have a mate that makes his kick in at 6.5 rpm instead of the normal 5.2 rpm,, he still cant beat me and his is tuned very well, mine is standard inducktion kit, wow

the bad
your interfairing with perfection,, why??
in order to work properly you need to remap the ecu to make more air and fuel, this is complicated
ive heard of vtecs breaking over these controllers, how in gods name can you break a honda vtec???
vtec is addictive and with a controler, you'll probably set it at 2000 rpm
thats really #!#!#!#!ing with the already perfectly tuned engine

with the money you'll spend on getting the controller and setting it up properly, you'll buy a full stainless steel system for the car, and this will make a huge differance to a vtec,= better kick, faster, louder if thats your thing, and it will really alow the vtec to work at its best, without fiddiling with it

in my eyes vtec controllers are crap, in others might be the best thing since sliced bread
im not here to discuss with people why i think their stupid, this is just my view on them:D

Last edited:

thank you. ya i havnt heard alot of good stuff about them.... and i really like how it feels at 5300 so i dont think ill mess around with it

thank you. ya i havnt heard alot of good stuff about them.... and i really like how it feels at 5300 so i dont think ill mess around with it
whats the point, theres a very good kick from it at 5300, and thats standard, get yourself a full exhaust system and then you'll know all about kicks:D

So, let me get this right.........

The V-Tec controller isn't really for road car spec? Am I right to assume that it's only really good for cars that are basically set up for track which will have their revs increased beyong the factory norm?

Or did I just miss the point completely??:lol:

their only good if thousands are spent on the engine,

racing cams, pistons, rods, plus in order for them to work proper, you need to have it set up with an air/fuel regulator
proper 1s cost hundreds

the touring cars have them in constant vtec, but then their proper vtecs

if you g4et a vtec controller, it will hit vtec sooner, but less kick, they work best if you delay the vtec, but then your rev range is less so to be honest, their not worth the money, believe me if they were, id have 1 long ago, (driving vtecs 5 years)

I don't doubt you for a second, I just wanted to know why so i could learn a little. Good piece of knowledge to have and one less thing to spend money on then!! :lol::lol:

I have a Vtec controller that was easily soddered to the ECU which allows me to adjust the Vtec even while driving. The stock ECU should be able to handle the change and work with it. I have read and have been told by other Honda tuner heads that the best RPM for the most power out-put is 4900 RPM. I have also heard that the reason the Vtec kicks in at its stock RPM because of the economics of driving, the sooner the Vtec kicks in the more gas use and wear on the motor.

BUT... Vtec adjusters are a old technology now, aftermarket ECU's have these already built into them like Hondata's ECU's: s100, s200, s300

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back