Using your power

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When do you use your cars power? Are you in the power band all the time, only when you need it, or is it something you save for the weekend or a spirited drive?

My torque is always there whenever i need it so i don't really need to be in the power band all the time. :)

I try to keep my power advantage strictly for fast overtaking on the road/motorway and then I drop it back down to normal speed as soon as I can;
I have nothing to prove so don't need to live on the redline ;)

I miss the midrange slam the diesel 406 had. The 528i needs to be allowed to breathe to give of it's best. It's 100lbft down on torque compared to the Peugeot so this is to be expected. But it makes up for it by being happy to rev and pull all the way to 6400rpm or so.

I'm not a rushed driver in general but I'm also not known for holding up other drivers.

So I suppose I dig into the torque/power band when I need to do so and don't when I don't.

I try to keep my power advantage strictly for fast overtaking on the road/motorway and then I drop it back down to normal speed as soon as I can;
I have nothing to prove so don't need to live on the redline ;)

basically a similar reply to T9 Plus living on the redline isnt possible anyway.

In fact I have found the more power you have the less you feel you need to use it .

Of course that doesnt mean you dont :p

Mainly for overtaking. I couldn't think about driving a slow car. I like the knowledge that I can overtake quickly and safely.

Oh, and for cornering, if I'm by my self and the road is quiet, then Ill have a bit of fun in the low down gears. :blink1:

Normal driving I only use the power when I have to (MG), no need to waste fuel. Besides it gets a biy noisy! The Landy is somewhat different as that is driven within its limits and has no power to speak of!

Only when I need t.iv found now wi this car that if I slam mi foot down the fuel indicator is like the clock on countdown.so I tend t set off 10mins earlier so I don't have thrash it to mi destination.

Only when I need t.iv found now wi this car that if I slam mi foot down the fuel indicator is like the clock on countdown.so I tend t set off 10mins earlier so I don't have thrash it to mi destination.

A rushed journey can double your fuel usage over one that you drive in a less rushed manner. Overtaking slower cars is generally a good thing when it allows you to maintain a good stable speed. Constantly slowing for dawdlers in front is going to impact upon your fuel usage. As it will upon theirs.

Im lucky,I start very early in the morning so i dont hit much traffic so it a decent comsumption of fuel im using and not much traffic if any holding mi up.just the lights that are a pain,change on you and theirs no bleeding traffic waiting at the others.

Im lucky,I start very early in the morning so i dont hit much traffic so it a decent comsumption of fuel im using and not much traffic if any holding mi up.just the lights that are a pain,change on you and theirs no bleeding traffic waiting at the others.

I'm luckier perhaps;- I don't start off early in the morning and I live in a tiny little rural village.

I like my supercharger on my Cobalt because I get 10psi boost at 2kRPM. I can overtake on the highway without dropping a gear, I can merge quickly without sounding like I'm pushing the engine over the edge, and when I want to, I can wind that baby up and really fly! :D But most of the time, I do keep it under 4k.

The fiesta is ok, just about enough torque to be useful and the initial overboost helps a lot. The focus has 10psi at around 2.5k so again decent power is always on tap without wringing its neck. You can't just mash the throttle in first or second either or it will just spin up, and in third in the damp, just about hangs on in 4th in the damp so you need to plan your throttle modulation accordingly when overtaking etc. Alternatively just turn the boost down lol or controller off lol.