Using Ethanol as a Fuel

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
I understand using Bio-Ethanol such as E85 has been discussed in earlier topics. But I put this to you; If you modified a (turbocharged) engine to take a higher boost and a lower compression ratio with appropriate ethanol friendly injectors... Assuming the rest of the engine was blueprinted and toughened up to take the extra power... could you run an Ethanol engine as a reliable everyday engine?

The drop in CR and extra charge would spell large power gains - as Ethanol air/fuel ratio is usually double that of petrol and is less susceptible to detonation under high boost.

Thoughts?

I'm glad you mentioned the injectors. Probably also need different fuel pumps and filters but it would work perfectly as an everyday car.

Awesome. An idea of mine that would actually work! This is a first :lol:

can see that being your only problem is that most of the fuel system will need to be changed as the ethonal will eat away at the seals.

couldnt see it working on a NASP engine but a FI there is a good possibility with high boost.
certain the mad icelandic offroaders use ethonal

Presumably there are companies that trade ethanol friendly fueling systems? Also, what about exhausts and the emissions thereof. Wouldn't an ethanol engine fail a petrol engine's equivelent emissions test?

An ethanol fuelled engine will pass an emissions test with no problems.

Ethanol will not corrode or damage seals in any way at all.

It's only it's lack of lubricity that might cause a problem for fuel pumps and injectors.

It will work without forced induction.

It's not really that radical either, Saab markets ethanol models under the Biopower moniker.

You can't run pure ethanol as it's incredibly hygroscopic. The best you're likely to achieve is about 90% ABV.

It will also attract excise duty. If it's not de-natured HMR&C will tax it as an alcoholic beverage.

Hate to burst your bubble but drag racers have been using the stuff for years.

I know, it's just I presumed those types of engine were JUST for the drag strip and unsuitable for everyday road use due to their high maintenance nature. I figured it would need servicing every 15 miles and a rebuild every 100!

You can't run pure ethanol as it's incredibly hygroscopic. The best you're likely to achieve is about 90% ABV.

It will also attract excise duty. If it's not de-natured HMR&C will tax it as an alcoholic beverage.

With regards to that, Morrisons and a few other stores do E85 Ethanol fuel from the pump. There are a few filling stations around my county, I think, so that shouldn't be a problem. So, I won't run E100... but close...

Also, you said ethanol is very hygroscopic. As far as I'm aware people actually add water as a anti-detonant? I don't know if that's an option for ramming in even more A/F charge?

Last edited:
E85 is exactly that. 85% ethanol. The rest will be methanol and water. I can understand that the water may be quite beneficial for the same reasons you state. The only downside is possible corrosion then.

E85 is exactly that. 85% ethanol. The rest will be methanol and water. I can understand that the water may be quite beneficial for the same reasons you state. The only downside is possible corrosion then.

Sorry, I'm wrong. E85 is 85% bioethanol and 15% petrol.

But the ethanol is still not likely to be more than 90% pure