Urgent ( as doing tomorrow) should I use semi or fully synthetic gearbox oil ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I drive a 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI

Car clunks often in low gear change, also transmission light is on throwing up a code.

My friend says replacing the transmission oil should fix the problem as the car goes into each gear superbly with no hesitation.

I looked online at Halfords and it shows It should take fully synthetic oil.

However my friend has 2 bottles of semi synthetic oil in his garage, he says he thinks it should be semi.
I then went to a auto parts shop and asked them what oil it should take, he said semi too ( I didn't mention that Halfords site shows fully synthetic)

So, should I just go ahead tomorrow and pour in the semi synthetic gearbox oil ?

thanks

You should put in the same as whats already there unles you are going to completely drain and fill. Even then it needs to conform to manufacturer spec. Is it auto or manual?

I imagine this is automatic given the transmission warning light. General advice is not to mix fluids and also to use the specified stuff. Draining an automatic box is not easy. What does the warning light point to?

You should put in the same as whats already there unles you are going to completely drain and fill. Even then it needs to conform to manufacturer spec. Is it auto or manual?

I don't know which oil is in it currently, I have only had the car 9 months or so and haven't changed the gearbox oil on this before.
I am going to completely drain the old oil and fill up with new.

My car is a manual, not automatic

I imagine this is automatic given the transmission warning light. General advice is not to mix fluids and also to use the specified stuff. Draining an automatic box is not easy. What does the warning light point to?

No, it is not automatic , it is a manual car with a manual gearbox. (somebody else said same thing, that manual gearboxes have no sensors in them, but my friend saying that is garbage and that they do have sensors in them )

Not sure what the light points to, will have to have the diagnostics done on it to find out.