Ups and downs of life.

Fabia17

Torque Junkie
Car
Fabia Monte Carlo
G'day Folks,
I've now had my Skoda Fabia one week and already its changing character, however, a question for the masses.

I'm upgrading the suspension, currently it wallows and yaws which makes the wife nauseous, so looking to go coilovers for more adjustability as much as anything else.

Would like thoughts and opinions? Personally I'm stuck between Bilstein, BC, and YSR. All carry a hefty price tag but don't need a set of lemons.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts and experiences. Many thanks.

Kev.

Kev do all you research before opening your wallet and Bilstein would be my pick for no other reason than they were the best choice back in the mid 70's when I was competing in rallies and could only afford Konis

G'day Kev

Whilst i agree that bilstien are arguably the best, think about what you will be using the car for. I had a full set of them in my mazda and they didn't last anywhere near the extra cost inccured. The valving inside along with the seals are what failed in my circumstance.

Kev do all you research before opening your wallet and Bilstein would be my pick for no other reason than they were the best choice back in the mid 70's when I was competing in rallies and could only afford Konis
Yes, I have been reading and pricing, and when it really comes down to the Fabia choice becomes quite limited, unless I want to stick with a spring and shocker system, which I wanted to move away from. One reason for this, I want to be able to corner weight. I also want to be to adjust the rebound for different journeys, say, a bit softer for long trips on the motorway, and much sportier for play days. This seriously reduces the options but I have settled on a set of BC - NR coilovers which also have an individually adjustable ride height which do not affect the spring bed. Thank you for your thoughts.

G'day Kev

Whilst i agree that bilstien are arguably the best, think about what you will be using the car for. I had a full set of them in my mazda and they didn't last anywhere near the extra cost inccured. The valving inside along with the seals are what failed in my circumstance.
Yes, I have been reading and pricing, and when it really comes down to the Fabia choice becomes quite limited, unless I want to stick with a spring and shocker system, which I wanted to move away from. One reason for this, I want to be able to corner weight. I also want to be to adjust the rebound for different journeys, say, a bit softer for long trips on the motorway, and much sportier for play days. This seriously reduces the options but I have settled on a set of BC - NR coilovers which also have an individually adjustable ride height which do not affect the spring bed. Thank you for your thoughts.

The Fabia is a VAG group car so shares a chassis with Seat, VW and Audi, all of which have a plentiful catalog of parts that will fit.

I've bought Skoda parts for my Audi, as they are exactly the same part, but a lot cheaper than if it came in an Audi box! How crazy is that.

Let us know how you get on with the BC NR's.

Hmmm, things have slowed somewhat. Not sure I'm going to be able to afford the BC set up, I think I was being too optimistic. Whichever way I go, I'll keep you all bored I'm sure, hahaha.

This week she was being ceramic coated with the Gtechniq, but got a phone call and the previous owner had cleverly but poorly disguised a scrape along the swaged edge on the front bumper, so now I have to get him to respray that, as well as the rear spoiler, which has bumped the price up loads. Also throwing the timings out, so two three day spells in the paintshop. I shouldn't complain as it will look brand new when finished, and will stay that way for as long as I keep it.

The new wheels have arrived at long last, and new tyres mounted 17" dotz with Cross Climates. These are having wheel armour applied today.

Ahhhh, rambling now, so much is happening. I'll set up a new post and some photos.

I don't blame you on the parts buying. I have just about figured the Cross over models in the vag family which is quite useful.

Thank you for the tips. ;l