Unrestricted Autobahn?

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Hi All.

I've only briefly driven through Germany a fair while ago when going to Luxembourg, but I would like to go back, this time with the W8 to see what it can really do since the mods!

Im led to believe not all Autobahns are free from speed limits? With fear of sounding stupid - do they make it obvious?

Also - whats the closest suitable autobahn if I go over to Calais and drive?

Regards,

I'd love to have a go on the autobahn with my primera. I've had 120mph out of it on the back straight at cadwell park with still some left to go. I'd love to see what it tops out at.....

Need to plan my route really though. I don't want to spend hours driving around Germany looking for an Autobahn without a speed limit.

I plan to equip my girlfriend with our video camera. Should make an interesting YouTube video! I'll call it - 4 Door Family saloon on steriods!

Im expecting to empty the fuel tanks pretty quickly. The W8 gets into serious single figure MPG's at high speeds.

I was going to do it earlier in the year - but a Power Steering leak which I was putting off getting fixed as it required moving my babys engine out of the way to get at the pipe stopped me doing so. Last thing I wanted was to loose PAS at 175+!

Thankfully it'll hold 82 litres, but unfortunatly it means I have a pram-wheel spare tyre. The W8 has the normal Passat fuel tank (62 litres) plus a 20 litre auxilary tank below the spare wheel well (20 litres) and some complex fuel ECU which empties said tank into the main tank when it drops below 40 litres (more stuff to go wrong!).

VW documentation calls this a "controlled fuel evacuation". I call it complicated.

TN69 - your Primera will probably run on to over 130 with the mods. Book top is listed as 129 but you ahve modded yours so you should get a couple more.

Personally I lose interested once the speedo is taking ten seonds for each 1mph increase.

I've driven the Pug up to 135 but the acceleration is diminishing by then so I left it at that

TN69 - your Primera will probably run on to over 130 with the mods. Book top is listed as 129 but you ahve modded yours so you should get a couple more.

Personally I lose interested once the speedo is taking ten seonds for each 1mph increase.

I've driven the Pug up to 135 but the acceleration is diminishing by then so I left it at that

I thought about it was about that. It was still going strong at 120. When i've upped the power i'll stick on some 18's an really lengthen the gears lol....

auto bahn stands for speed road in germany and as far as i know
it has speed limits, but most of it is no limit

remember a couple of years ago, these few guys tore through the auto bahn at 200mph in their super cars, they were arrested and fined heavily

the police or federal guys who maintain and operate these rds, dont like cannon ballers either

there is no speed limit to a certain extent, when you abuse it and treat it like it was a race track, you in deep s

auto bahn are all over germany, its not just 1 rd you know, its our equivelent to a motorway, germany build big powerfull cars, and power does go to german heads
thats why theres no speed limit on certain roads

Yeah - I know they're all over Germany - I just want to know if there is 'easy' sinage to say where there are and are not speed limits.

Hi All.

I've only briefly driven through Germany a fair while ago when going to Luxembourg, but I would like to go back, this time with the W8 to see what it can really do since the mods!

Im led to believe not all Autobahns are free from speed limits? With fear of sounding stupid - do they make it obvious?

Also - whats the closest suitable autobahn if I go over to Calais and drive?

Regards,

what are the mods?

I thought about it was about that. It was still going strong at 120. When i've upped the power i'll stick on some 18's an really lengthen the gears lol....

You really ought to keep the rolling radius and ride height close to standard. Longer gears will NOT increase your top speed. The engine still has to overcome the wind resistance and having it revving lower will mean that the mean power is power. It will quite possibly reduce your top speed.

What is the wheel, tyre fitment on your car? I think the stock rolling radius is about 605mm.

Not a clue mate without looking it up. It had 16 inch steelies on when I bought it. But I've put some 15's on now. For the 18's I may put them on but if I do it won't be for speed it'll be for show. But I may strip out the interior yet an use it next year for track days....:D

Not a clue mate without looking it up. It had 16 inch steelies on when I bought it. But I've put some 15's on now. For the 18's I may put them on but if I do it won't be for speed it'll be for show. But I may strip out the interior yet an use it next year for track days....:D

For track use you have the ideal car. THe front suspension is a mystery. I've looked at it long and hard and cannot work out how it offers any compliance at all. There are a pair of wishbones each side but they're both located in the top part of the turrets.

What I can tell you is that it keeps the front wheels vertically in contact with the road perfectly, regardless of what the rest of the vehicle is doing. THis goes all the way to explaining the exceptional cornering lateral grip.

I covered over 160,000 miles in my P11 and it was a superb handling car. You could take wet bends at speeds that you shouldn't be doing on a motorway in the dry.

Back to the AutoBahn. You can get stopped and prosecuted for silly speeds. The guideline is sensible - you have to justify that the speed you are driving at it safe.

If the road is wet or busy you are in trouble. If the road is empty and dry then you have more scope for speed. I just wish we had a system like this on our long roads.

I would gladly travel at 3am if I knew I could do 90/100 safely and without fear of prosecution. It would also keep the roads running freely if more people travelled off peak to take advantage of the higher limits.

I drive to Germany 5 times each year, roughly...

As Waynne says, just because there might not be a speed limit, doesn't mean you can just drive as quick as you like so be careful.

They are not signposted either IIRC, but i would say, on a nice clear, dry day and with light traffic and a good straight ahead of you, go for it, i drive to Nurnberg and has some fantastic straight roads that you can see for miles and miles in front of you - i'm driving down there this month so i'll be seeing what my car can do flat out :lol: head towards Frankfurt airport if you are planning to stop over, you'll see what i mean about the roads then ;)

OK - maybe Germany to drive faster as the car was intended is a good idea as apposed to the UK where I can break the motorway speed limit without leaving 2nd gear.

There must be somewhere one can do a top speed run legally though? I don't mind paying use of somewhere if there is such a place in the UK!

I know - I was thinking when I made the rather obtuse remark that you're after a straight line top speed test. Nothing really comes to mind in the UK - Frances Paul Ricard would be good with its three straights.

Failing that, it's a rolling road test and then some serious differential calculus to work out what the wind resistance would be worth.

I think i'll end up going to Germany when the weathers better, and *if* I find a part of the Autobahn thats not busy and I could deem safe I'll give it a blast. If not i'll just enjoy the drive.

I'd love to take my car to there. It would be so much fun. The Primera would beg for more on all the twisty bits. It'd be wicked. Hmmmm maybe a trip to the isle of man next year :D
did you see that top gear when they went there with the m3 csl
what a machine, what a rd, what a law

Snetterton is apparently the track with the longest straight in Britain. It is also one of the fastest tracks so would be well worth a visit.

I still think the M40 would suffice. You just need to prepare a good defence case for when you're stopped for driving at 105mph over the speed limit. That is, of course, if they manage to catch you in the first place.

I think I might give that a miss thanks HDi - sounds a very bad idea! You'll all be watching on Sky news as they report on "Police helecopters are currently tracking a 4 door family saloon which appears to be somehow doing 180MPH down the M40".