Unluckiest Car

trooper

Track Warrior
Have you ever felt like you've had the unlukiest car in the world?
I sold my Astra 1.6 Astra sport about 6 years ago to buy a Vauxhall Astra Estate (for my dogs). On way to work one morning, we heard a loud bang from the estate and then no power! Got out and oil was flowing freely from under the car. A conrod had came through the wall of the engine. We got a recon engine put into it after this, but within 4 weeks, the fanbelt (which was new at service only 6 weeks before) snapped and went up inside the housing case, you guessed it, fecked the engine again. I decided that i was not spending anymore money on it and traded it for a laguna.

Yup - I've had my fair share of Lemons too. I had an astra - (That came from Scotland too). I bought it through a friend who checked it over for me so I hadn't even seen it. Brake disk cracked then a whole chunk of suspension mouting on the front rusted through and the rust was just all over the sills. So I applied some filler and sold it (the guy that bought it had no trouble at all with it and had 4 happy years!!!!).

Then there was my Rover - I spend thousands on that car - 3 engines, 1 gearbox. I counted it as a business expense but even my accountant told me to ditch it. With the money I spent I could have got a really nice car! As you explore the forum and site you'll see frequent references to my Rover - the car that started this site off!

My first car was a 1.4 Renault 9 - purchase from my boss which I crashed 2 weeks later while fiddling with the radio in a country lane. Then there was a 1.3 Nova which wouldn't start when I left work - but someone managed to steal it!

The trooper i have just now, i have put new batteries, new fuel tank and fuel pipes, new alternator, but i cant complain cause i got the trooper at a fantastic price cause it was needing work done to it.
My first car my little fiesta which cost me £200, it was brilliant and if she didnt rust away i would still have her, she started everytime, very ecenomical and was just a wonderful little machine.

Most first cars bring pleasant nostalgic memories. I bet if you get back into the same model now you will be dissapointed - so keep it as a memory! :wink:

My first car was a VW GTI mk2 (8V).

For a first car it was insane, to go from a diesel with a driving instructor in the passenger seat to GTI and the open road was amazing.

When I had it I thought it was great and nothing major went wrong with it. But now looking back there wasn't point were something wasn't going wrong. The mechanic who fixed it used to laugh all the time, his favourite quote being "every time I put something on another bit falls off".

It cost me a bomb to keep running until I eventually wrote it off in the north of Scotland. The worst thing about it was that I wasn't even going fast and if it wasn’t for it being so far from my home I would have got it repaired. But because I was so far from home the cost of towing it and then repairing it just wasn't viable.

One funny memory was when I managed to break the wind screen wiper arm with the steering lock! I dove about for a few months using a screwdriver to switch them on and off. I had to get it fixed when my g/f phoned me going nuts because it started to rain and she couldn't get the wind screen wipers on and was stuck at the side of the road.

Now that I'm started I can think of a load more probs with that car but I'd probably have to start a new forum to list them all. :lol:

Feel free to start a BLOG about my fist car in the VW Forum- things you found out are always useful to other drivers.

I just wonder why some cars have problem after problem and others seems to live a charmed existance. I suppose not driving on the redline will help.

I don't think using the full power range itself is going to hurt the car at all provided maintenance and servicing are all up to date. You'll pay at the pumps, that's all.

I find that engines tend to be the single most reliable assembly (can't really call an engine a single component).

Anyone seen the Stephen King movie "Christine" about the possessed car? I think I owned it's sister at one time ?-/
Had this Rover 2000 once which I think was having a secret affair with the local garage mechanic as it spent so much time there. Say anything derogatory about the car in it's presence and it would fail to start, give it a compliment and it would fire up on the button - it had to go ;)

Not my kind of film by the sounds of it! Spooky ha!

I had a car that would play up if I said nasty things about it as well.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back