Underpowered cars - safer?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Low power small cars get cheaper insurance but are small under powered cars actually safer?

Playing devils advocate here I could argue that a car with more power/better brakes and more heavy duty crash protection would be safer? So why do insurers charge less for small underpowered cars?

One would surmise that it's because they assume you'll hit things slower and lighter, therefore causing less damage to have to shell out for. These cars also tend to be cheaper so again, cheaper for the insurance companies in the event of an accident.

They are cheaper. Cheaper parts and cheaper to replace in their entirety.
Not all of the insurance premium we pay is about the risk of an accident, but the financial risk the insurer takes on board; the potential outlay they have to find in the event of a claim.

I have often wondered what exactly constitutes a safe car these days in the eyes of the insurer.
Is it the size of the engine, the amount of airbags secreted about the interior, the cost to replace parts in the event of an accident. I remember reading once that the car which held the greatest amount of speeding warrants against it was the Mercedes Smart Car :confused:

Oh yes, I might add that my own chariot is rather potent from a performance point of view, yet Her Indoors drives it like Miss Daisy's grandmother :confused: