Under rated cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which cars do you think are the most underrated out there? I think we have all been pleasantly surprised by a car.

Here are my 2 faves that fall into this category.

The Mazda 3 MPS with the 260hp 380nm engine! That makes it faster on paper at least to Vw's 2.0 Turbo Golf GTI, an Astra VXR, Seats Leon 2.0T FR, a Focus ST and the Megane 225!

The Jaguar 3.0 V6 with a 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds is stunning for a car of it's size and weight.

What are your little hidden gems that too many people either ignore or do not know about?

I can only say from experience and what I have witnessed, my own MG ZS180, a Rover in disguise some might say, but not a bad package for the money. Rover BRM, Vi and of course the Ti to name but a few.

A friends VW Golf TDi also surprised me, but then that is not a secret is it!

I can tell you from experience, Punto GT is one of the most under rated cars out there. The look on some people's faces is priceless.

I can tell you from experience, Punto GT is one of the most under rated cars out there. The look on some people's faces is priceless.

In standard form i was unimpressed with the GT, but im sure modified they are little beasts. I'm a fan of the uni turbo when modified too!

With modified cars...i know everyone is backing up their own cars, i will ack up my previous car...the humble metro!

Standard form = 105bhp and 850KG, Front and rear anti roll bars.

Lower and individualise (£40 in bits) and drop a vvc engine in there (£400 all in) and you have a car that will stay with a Subaru WRX both round the corners and in a straight line.

There is a vid on youtube of a lightly modified metro vvc running a 14 second flat 1/4 mile and beating a WRX in the process

In standard form i was unimpressed with the GT, but im sure modified they are little beasts. I'm a fan of the uni turbo when modified too!

Actually yeah you're right, I haven't driven anything less than a Seb2 (~170bhp, 7200rpm rev limit) for quite some time. Then again, Glanza's and even WRX's are equally unimpressive in standard form. What they are capable of though is impressive, they just need modifying to get the best out of them.

I was, however, referring more to the fact that a lot of people don't even know a turbo Punto exists. Funny when some chav in a 1.2 Corsa starts revving his engine at the lights and you just leave him for dead.

Actually yeah you're right, I haven't driven anything less than a Seb2 (~170bhp, 7200rpm rev limit) for quite some time. Then again, Glanza's and even WRX's are equally unimpressive in standard form. What they are capable of though is impressive, they just need modifying to get the best out of them.

I was, however, referring more to the fact that a lot of people don't even know a turbo Punto exists. Funny when some chav in a 1.2 Corsa starts revving his engine at the lights and you just leave him for dead.

Yeah Glanzas are unimpressive because often they have a lot of hype around them, that they cant live up to in standard form.

EDIT: PS, Its even more fun when its a red top corsa and the guy is full of himself... :p

Whats great is how lots of cars have potential but in standard form are a bit rubbish. I'd rather have a car like that than a hyped car that cant really live up to its name (like my glanza.....hmmm)

That's what makes modifying cars like the ours so "fun" and satisfying. What can be achieved over standard (even for relatively little money) is incredible.

Red top Corsa owner's think they have the fastest cars in the world. I've put a fair few to shame with my old spec. The LET ones are quite fast though.