Under car neons transformer?

T

TimAudiA3

Hello,

Just joined mainly too see if i can fix my issue, i bought some under car neon's off ebay brand new in box, how ever after wiring them all up they don't work, and i think its the transformer that has either blown or is knackered, unfortunately ive opened it up and its got a solid block of black rubber stuff guessing some sort of sealant or protection, anyway is there anyway i can get a new transformer and what sort of power do i need it?

p.s. yes i know neon's were last decade but im bringing them back

Thanks
Tim

Hi. Starting off your first post with the statement that you only joined to fix a problem won't endear you to members!

I agree with the others. Undercar lighting should stay on the showroom floor.

By opening the box you preclude the option of sending it back and I would guess the cost of mending it will be more than buying another set from eBay.

You might get an answer from a car site more geared to this kind of mod, ukstreetcars.co.uk for example.

I hope you stay and contribute to what is a very friendly forum, but if not good luck with finding a solution to your problem.

Last edited:
Mate I tell ya what, just get the transformer in and out puts and amp readings the same and you can use any transformer try e bay again you may just have to modify the wiring a wee bit and Bob's your uncle, good luch.
ps.. thought neons were history and leds are in...but what do I know.

Greetings TimAudiA3 and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

As the damage is done to the transformer (are you sure it is a transformer and not just just a pass through link with an overload shunt fuse) already you can try Maplin electronics for an alternative transformer. Depending on the extent of the neon lighting being used, then somewhere on the box or transformer there should be either a VA or wattage rating. All you have to do is then match this to a 12 volt DC supply rated unit and then depending on whether the actual output voltage required is below the incoming 12 volts of the battery supply or if the transformer is a step up version to maybe 24 volts then you can just connect it to the lights then off you go. Remember the transformer bought will undoubtedly be an internal use only, so this will have to be taken into account when you are wiring the neon lighting. If there is no voltage rating written down :blink: Then I would punch the name of the neon lighting unit into Google and see what comes back with regards to it's power requirements.

Well as this is only a bail me out of a problem sort of enquiry then I think I shall leave it there and chat to a member who is not already running on the spot to get out of here!

Good luck young man.

Blimey - that was an un-Torque Cars like welcome.

Come on folks, let's take a different view and not dwell too much upon the reasons stated for joining.

The bloke is probably only intimating that he doesn't want Torque Cars members to devote their entire lives to sorting this issue and this issue alone.

NB - transformers don't work with DC.

Blimey - that was an un-Torque Cars like welcome.

Come on folks, let's take a different view and not dwell too much upon the reasons stated for joining.

The bloke is probably only intimating that he doesn't want Torque Cars members to devote their entire lives to sorting this issue and this issue alone.

NB - transformers don't work with DC.

I am aware of the correct terminology to use Paul regarding transformers and there subsequent functions. I chose the word *transformer* as opposed to using DC - DC converter as I made an assumption that it would be better for the chap to relate to as he may be a possible layman.
A bit like the use of the word *Turbo* used to describe everything from forced induction on engines to hairdryers, kettles, shaving cream, razors - I think you see where I'm coming from.

I still hope the gentleman is able to get to the bottom of the problem anyway ;)

Nor was it mine to be rude to anyone else. Seems we all need to stop, take a deep breath and start over. Come on chaps . . . . . .

DC-DC converters come in many forms depending upon the intended application.

Absolutely no problems here Paul, maybe if the chap actually gives us the name of the device he is using we can help him further :blink: After all, we are above the likes of the PH forum in that we do care and do try to help; even if we are a little overprotective of our beloved TC ;)

^ ^ ^ I agree ^ ^ ^

I do wish people would engage more and provide information upon which some of us here might be able to assist in a greater capacity.

And, yes, he's not been back. Possibly exploring dozens of other forums but I doubt he's likely to get high quality responses to his questions in those.

Torque Cars is a good place indeed.

Stay well Os

Best regards,

Paul.