Undefined knock on braking

P

Peartree7954

On slow speed braking either in a straight line or manouvreing, an occasional knock is heard from below floor level, at about the centre of the car. Also occurs in reverse.
Two garages (one a main dealer) have failed to define the cause.
Any ideas?

I've had this before took the garage 3 months to find the cause. what was it? worn bushes on the front suspension.

can't remember which part exactly for sure but it was one of those things that the garage couln't replicate everytime it went in. It wasn't sorted until till the service manager drove it one day & heard the knocking noise himself!

Got the job done for free & free labour the next time the car was in because I had so much stuff replaced over the previous three months! :lol:

Last edited:
Welcome. It should be straight forward enough to check all suspension joints, anti-rollbar bushes etc. Also check the engine mounts and any steadies. If FWD check the drive shafts for play. Also check the ABS reluctor rings as they can play up and not always affect the ABS circuit.

Problems like that would indicate the lower arm bushes have gone, usually they come ready pressed in a new arm so best to buy the whole thing, much easier to change.