Uk to ban new combustion engined cars from 2040

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It's not just France, it looks like the UK are set to ban Petrol and diesel cars as new models from 2040.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Is electric really the answer? What effect will this have on our electricity bills if everyone is using electric to power their cars?

What effect will this have on our electricity bills if everyone is using electric to power their cars?
Our bills will lower as dependance on the national grid will reduce.
The cars should have solar panels as well, and if set up right when you plug your car into your house any excess watts from your car will go back into your house. Which will also have solar panels and will be pushing its own excess watts back to the national grid.
Just one example from Nissan.
Another from the FT.

It's happening :)

Aye. Might have to buy that V8 in a few years time to have one last bit of fun.

Apart from that though I want range, reliability, waftiness and comfort. It needs to be fast enough to overtake a tractor dawdler safely but other than that I'm not bothered what motive force it has.

What I DON'T want to be doing is constantly worrying about range and recharging. If we are going electric then every petrol station needs to become a charging station. I wonder then if we will start paying directly for the electricity like we pay for fuel now.

I honestly cant see electric car technology being viable by 2040. Even just simple issues of vehicle range, if you were travelling the length of the country in an electric car it would be a 2 day trip as you would need to stop for 8 or so hours to charge up!
What about couriers and Haulage firms? electric trucks??

I honestly cant see electric car technology being viable by 2040.
Then you seriously underestimate the pace of technology and necessity being the mother of invention.
In the 2000's energy crisis the development of electric and hybrid cars went through the roof.
Yes, the first battery powered cars could not go much further than 40 miles and needed a good charge (please do ignore Top Gear's test a few years ago, they admitted they made it look worse than it was for the purposes of entertainment TV). But neither could the first petrol powered cars!
In the last 10 years sales have rocketed. This shows there is demand and manufacturers will make better, faster, stronger, longer (range) cars. Already electric cars can go further than my Scooby (though I accept that's not saying much :rofl: ) and recharge (at the fast, high powered outlets) in a short space of time (the time it takes to walk into the services, visit the small room, order a coffee and drink it).

Take a look at this table and you'll see progression. It will get better. I wouldn't be surprised if we are all (90%+) using electric as our daily drives by 2030 let alone 2040.

10 years is a very long time in R&D.

Tesla have really pushed the boundaries of batteries and motors. I'm still not sure things have come far enough yet but as you say 10 years is a lot of R&D.

Fast recharges do kill batteries and if you do to many then Tesla will slow up the charge rate to spare the batteries on all future charges. You're usually best doing a trickle charge overnight at home IMO.

What range do we need on electric cars? I would say 400 miles minimum - that's about the longest journey I'm likely to take and a fast recharge at a services mid way will pretty much cover the whole country then.

They've been making noises that diesels are the enemy for some time. Annoying when they were hailed as the answer to all our pollution needs!

Will there be a similar sting in the tail for electric cars?

Its "shocking" to think that all those years ago playing with my TCR track and Scalextrics we could all be driving them. Sorry for the very bad play on words :)

On a serious note tho, Ive been in a Telsa Model S just the poverty spec 75Kw version of it but still a hefty £55k so im told and to be honest MY ****ING GOD! that is one quick car.
The guy says if he drives sensible he gets around 300miles from the batteries but push it a bit and that quickly becomes less than half of that range.

I cant imagine what the 100Kw 4WD version is like:woot:

It is surprising how quickly things change.

Battery tech was a large problem but the new batteries offer twice the capacity they did just a few years ago.

Wonder what the next 10 years will hold for us all.