UK Civil war over fuel prices

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The civil uprisings and unrest in the Middle East are showing governments the world open that the people are in charge and they will not put up with unfair unjust and heavy handed treatment.

With the rising cost of crude oil the prices of pump fuel are going up substantially.

£1.40 upwards are now a reality for forecourt prices.

What will it take to provoke the british into fuel protests, civil uprisings and civil war?

Rather than pressure the government to cancel the latest tax hike I think there is a major case for a reduction in fuel duty.

the unfortunate reality is, that we british folk love a good moan and a rant, but the vast majority will do nothing more than that. we're all to happy to let someone else do it. on numerous occasions i've seen facebook groups try to organize boycotts of the main petrol stations on a particular day. but no one will do it. hundreds of people will join the group, but only very few will carry out the plan.

i'd be up for doing something about it. but unless it's round the corner from me, i wouldn't be able to afford the diesel to get there.....

Last edited:
there was a conversation i over heard today that prices where going to rise upto £2 per litre for diesel. if this happens then i cant see people sitting on their backsides and doing nothing.

there was a conversation i over heard today that prices where going to rise upto £2 per litre for diesel. if this happens then i cant see people sitting on their backsides and doing nothing.

agreed! but more to the point, how can they justify it! and i've only just got myself a diesel!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Problem is, one of the contributing factors to the rise is the whole unrest in the middle east! thats where the majority of our oil comes from, and if they decide it aint coming out, we are screwed.

Fuel prices are going up, and they will continue to do just that. Christ, it wasnt so long ago the whole country went mad about fuel going over £1/L, now we're paying an average of £1.28/L for petrol. Nothings gonna change guys....

Olley and Pikey are right - nothing will happen, we will moan and complain, and then accept it.

However, what will happen is that over time the UK will become so uncompetitive that the immigrants will stop coming, more factories (if any are left) will close and even the service industries will desert the country. Then we will face a civil unrest but by that time the country will be unable to recover and any outbreak will be left to fester. (albeit 20yrs down the road)

Crude oil prices are not particularly high at the moment, despite the crises in the Middle East.

Fuel duty in the UK rose from 35% to over 75% during Gordon Brown's time as Chancellor and subsequently Prime Minister.

the unfortunate reality is, that we british folk love a good moan and a rant, but the vast majority will do nothing more than that. we're all to happy to let someone else do it. on numerous occasions i've seen facebook groups try to organize boycotts of the main petrol stations on a particular day. but no one will do it. hundreds of people will join the group, but only very few will carry out the plan.

i'd be up for doing something about it. but unless it's round the corner from me, i wouldn't be able to afford the diesel to get there.....

i so have to agree here, us british are pathetic when it comes to standing up for whats right, we only moan about everything or keep banging on about past acheivements but has a nation we have not moved forward. i fear we will soon be the 3rd world country especially with our goverment raping us with everything. we need to stand up and put the GREAT back into britain.

i so have to agree here, us british are pathetic when it comes to standing up for whats right, we only moan about everything or keep banging on about past acheivements but has a nation we have not moved forward. i fear we will soon be the 3rd world country especially with our goverment raping us with everything. we need to stand up and put the GREAT back into britain.

it has just occurred to me, we're moaning about it... and not doing anything about it... lol

i'll go throw a few petrol bombs onto the RAF base over the road tomorrow and shout something about unfair taxes then clear off before they can arm their rifles! pahaha

oh sorry, can't afford the petrol to throw it away like that! i'll have to do a petrol run first. but before that i'll have to steal some number plates...
all this effort. think it'll just stay in bed..... so much for a revolution!

So we all stop using fuel on a friday, meaning fuel companies dont make their money on fridays in the uk, so what will they do? most likely raise the cost to cover it.

The bottom line here is we are in a recession. Tax on essential living is going to be kept as low as possible, whilst tax on luxury items, such as fuel ( not to me, but in the eyes of the government - public transport etc) fags and alcohol is going to continue to rise. Its the only way the country can fairly pull out of recession. Unfortunately, by then, the price of crude oil will have risen, and we will still be paying through the nose for our fuel!

i dont think people would be so p***ed at it if the government lowered the the cost after a period of high price, but they dont they just raise the price and keep it, the only way is up in their eyes,

As soon as they passed the £1 barrier, and nobody complained, they just charge us what they like. About 90p of every L goes to the government. It all needs to stop. We need the truckers to block the ports again.

wouldnt it be great if a thousand trucks all just suddenly broke down outside parliment blocking it off for hours hmmmmmmmmm

Hahahaha!

I've got the same problem!

I'm still laughing about this one.

This sounds a lot like the situation in America. People are seriously ticked off, but no one's doing anything. We also fear we are on our way to becoming the newest third-world country.

But I'm certainly not going to be starting anything. I'm too scared to be the one who gets made example of. I'm not smart enough, rich enough, or charismatic enough to be out in front of something like this. You know?

Last edited:
Hahahaha!

I've got the same problem!

I'm still laughing about this one.

This sounds a lot like the situation in America. People are seriously ticked off, but no one's doing anything. We also fear we are on our way to becoming the newest third-world country.

But I'm certainly not going to be starting anything. I'm too scared to be the one who gets made example of. I'm not smart enough, rich enough, or charismatic enough to be out in front of something like this. You know?

there are people on this forum from all over the gaff... i think with the right leadership amongst us, we could potentially start something the world over, and if we can do it on an online platform, we wouldn't need to worry about the cost of fuel to get there!
i for one would start by starting a petition, it is easy enough to do. i'd just need someone to word it properly.
the more signatures we get the more they have to pay attention.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

anyone want to give it a shot?

Are we allowed to import our own fuel?? Or would you still have to pay stupid tax? Im sure you could import a 50L drum for arround £25??? How much tax would you have to pay on that?

Are we allowed to import our own fuel?? Or would you still have to pay stupid tax? Im sure you could import a 50L drum for arround £25??? How much tax would you have to pay on that?

Part (I don't know how much) of the tax has to be a tax in order to sell it to the end user. If you decided to order your own fuel in large enough quantities, you may not have to pay the final sales tax, so long as you don't try to sell it to anyone. If you do, I would imagine a great deal of trouble/jail time. If you didn't try to sell it tho, i'm sure there's some way around some of the tax. I've thought about that too.

is there anyone on the forum with a HGV licence?
if we all clubbed in i'm sure we could all chip in to buy/rent a Torque Cars fuel tanker, send it up and down the country (after filling up on the continent) and "GIVE" fuel out to the members of the forum... i'd volunteer but sadly don't have a HGV licence.

and before you start ridiculing my idea, at least i'm trying! haha

My dad is a lorry driver. & its true, lorry drivers have a lot of power (when they stick together). When They go on strike, the shops are empty in a few days & people panic, which encourages a change.

A big problem we have in this country 'imho' is Centralised power. Every day big companies are taking over small ones & small business' are going bust. Even if me dad & all his mates stop driving the big companies won't.

Some corporations are so big you don't even know who you are working for.
Its called Consolidation (Strengthen governments & coorporations / Weaken individuals), I've seen it my whole life.

The European Union's goals to centralise all of europe into one big super state is in my oppinion the Greatest threat too Great britain since the Nazi's where in power.

The Nazi's wanted too make deutsche marks the official currency of europe! The EU have already imposed their own currency on irland! (That's too close for comfort).

The Nazi's had 'health & safety' rules! The EU have already imposed that on us!

The Nazi's introduced foreigners into austria in the late late 30's, too brake up the culture 'so that da vould be nicht resistance vhen vier took over!'

The EU Have introdued assylum seekers into britain & made 'discrimination' laws too protect them.

I'm the last person in the world too be a racist but I'd like too present these facts...

-BENIFITS-

British old aged pensioners weekly allowance £100

Illigal imigrants/Refugees living in britain weekly allowance £250

British old aged pensioners weekly spouse allowance £25

Illigal imigrants/Refugees living in britain weekly spouse allowance £225

British old aged pensioners Additional hardship weekly allowance nil

Illigal imigrants/Refugees Additional hardship weekly allowance £100

YEARLY TOTAL: British old aged pensioners = 6,000

Illigal imigrants/Refugees living in britain = £29,000

(& here was me thinking I was paying tax for the roads & public services)

Also Assylum seekers are exempt from paying for a TV Licence while unfortunate blind people in britain still have to pay half the fee just too listen too it.

Hay I though we were talking about cars! The truth is too depressing.

Last edited:
My dad is a lorry driver. & its true, lorry drivers have a lot of power (when they stick together). When They go on strike, the shops are empty in a few days & people panic, which encourages a change.

A big problem we have in this country 'imho' is Centralised power. Every day big companies are taking over small ones & small business' are going bust. Even if me dad & all his mates stop driving the big companies won't.

Some corporations are so big you don't even know who you are working for.
Its called Consolidation (Strengthen governments & coorporations / Weaken individuals), I've seen it my whole life.

The European Union's goals to centralise all of europe into one big super state is in my oppinion the Greatest threat too Great britain since the Nazi's where in power.

The Nazi's wanted too make deutsche marks the official currency of europe! The EU have already imposed their own currency on irland! (That's too close for comfort).

The Nazi's had 'health & safety' rules! The EU have already imposed that on us!

The Nazi's introduced foreigners into austria in the late late 30's, too brake up the culture 'so that da vould be nicht resistance vhen vier took over!'

The EU Have introdued assylum seekers into britain & made 'discrimination' laws too protect them.

I'm the last person in the world too be a racist but I'd like too present these facts...

-BENIFITS-

British old aged pensioners weekly allowance £100

Illigal imigrants/Refugees living in britain weekly allowance £250

British old aged pensioners weekly spouse allowance £25

Illigal imigrants/Refugees living in britain weekly spouse allowance £225

British old aged pensioners Additional hardship weekly allowance nil

Illigal imigrants/Refugees Additional hardship weekly allowance £100

YEARLY TOTAL: British old aged pensioners = 6,000

Illigal imigrants/Refugees living in britain = £29,000

(& here was me thinking I was paying tax for the roads & public services)

Also Assylum seekers are exempt from paying for a TV Licence while unfortunate blind people in britain still have to pay half the fee just too listen too it.

Hay I though we were talking about cars! The truth is too depressing.

Despite my high level of intellectual capability, and, my strong command of the English language I am struggling to understand that about which you are on.

AFAIK Illegal immigrants get nothing, they are not in the system because they are illegal, they have no paperwork, they often end up on the streets or become victims of Pimps and other criminal gangs.

This seems an unfair comparison to me, why not compare the benefits earned by an immigrant with those of somone of working age from Britain who is genuinely unemployed through no fault of his own or someone who just can't be arsed to put in an honest days work and get a job?* I'm sure the figures would be similar.

It's all damn lies and statistics.

I am a firm believer that people should earn their benefits unless they are physically unable to. We are cutting back street cleaners, refuse collectors and other jobs so why can't the unemployed of whatever national origin be asked to provide community services in return for their benefit payments?

(why can't the unemployed of whatever national origin be asked to provide community services in return for their benefit payments?) Good idea!

But your wrong about it being lies!

Anyway I've stubled off subject...

Part (I don't know how much) of the tax has to be a tax in order to sell it to the end user. If you decided to order your own fuel in large enough quantities, you may not have to pay the final sales tax, so long as you don't try to sell it to anyone. If you do, I would imagine a great deal of trouble/jail time. If you didn't try to sell it tho, i'm sure there's some way around some of the tax. I've thought about that too.

Sod it, that seems to complicated. I'll just keep buying mine off honest Rob, my mate who always seems to have loads in 5L drums round the back of his house!!!! lol

*Disclaimer - I have no mates, let alone one called honest Rob, this was a joke (just incase any fuzz are reading this and take my word littrally) lol :D

We live near Dover so theoretically you can take a day trip over there, top up your tank and fill a jerry can or two and drive back. The prices however are not that much cheaper than in teh UK with a weak pound against the Euro. You can usually get a ferry crossing for about £30 and if you top up your beer and wine collection you can generally make quite a saving.

It's fun to syphon out though!

Oh no it isn't! I remember having to do this once in my student days! borrowed a couple gallons of petrol from a student who actually had money :amazed:

That taste will stay with me until my dying day! :sad2:

I swore then, that I would never ever be without money! :sad2:

Oh no it isn't! I remember having to do this once in my student days! borrowed a couple gallons of petrol from a student who actually had money :amazed:

That taste will stay with me until my dying day! :sad2:

I swore then, that I would never ever be without money! :sad2:

Syphoning whiskey out of the tank would make the petrol go down easier :blink1:

i thought we'd managed to do something about fuel prices the other day, til i realised the sighn at the petrol station was broken.

with regards alternative fuels, i do believe that if you were to run a diesel in cooking oil or the like that after a certain amount you have to pay tax... otherwise you face the wrath of mr. taxman, and he has a nasty habit of removing your trousers, just to get your wallet out the pocket.