Ugrades for my new Scirocco???

P

philbstunky

Hi

Can anyone advise me what path to take when considering upgrading my VW Scirocco? Its a 2.0 tsi (210bhp) and I was thinking Induction kit, re-map, exhaust etc.

Many thanks in advance

Wouldn't necessarily bother with the induction kit - most decent cars now come with good cold air feeds anyway, usually taken from somewhere down inside the front bumper. An underbonnet kit will mean you're just drawing in hotter air. Plus there are some questions as to the quality of filtration over standard paper air filters.

Exhaust - yes and no - personally I wouldn't because of the noise issue but that's a very personal thing.

Remap - yes definitely. But uf you are gonna do other stuff wait on the remap til the mechanical mods are done.

Check out http://www.celtictuning.co.uk - they quote 265bhp and 281 lbft. Celtic are sometimes a bit 'generous' with the bhp figures but the torque is totally believable to my mind. And that's what you want. Torque. It's torque that flings your car down the road when you press the go pedal.

Happy tuning and welcome to Torque Cars.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

remap definetly.
not so clued up on the 2.0 but on the older engine the exhaust flowed pretty well exect from the downpipe. and as Hdi has said the induction wont add much as most cars are well set up now. more noise will be added if thats what your looking for.
from what i can remember about the 2.0t units through hp fuel pump on the cam is a good upgrade along with the injectors if your looking at upgrading the turbo

On any factory turbo car Fitting a larger diameter mandrel bend exhaust system from the turbine outlet along with a hi flow cat and a straight thru muffler will give a significant power gain. It will/may allow the boost pressure to be higher than factory built in safeguard so if you hit the boost cut a retune/map on a RR/DYNO is needed.
FWIW I would recommend it be dynoed for peace of mind and if you are really keen have the car dynoed (a power run only) before the mods and after it has been tuned so you will be able to see as well as feel the increased performance.
NOTE for those who don't know turbos thrive on as little back-pressure as possible so the turbo responds faster|Boost pressure builds sooner in the rev band.
Mandrel bends are the full size whereas press bends reduce internal diameter due to crushing .

Last edited:
Yep - that will probably help

It's not so much turbo boost building lower in the rev range - it's more likely spool up time - mechanical and thermal inertia are the factors here

Yep - that will probably help

It's not so much turbo boost building lower in the rev range - it's more likely spool up time - mechanical and thermal inertia are the factors here

Not wanting to start WW3 BUT isn't "boost building lower(earlier) in the rev range and "it's more likely spool up time" one and the same:confused: the only way that boost starts earlier is due to faster spool or changing to a smaller turbo.
The freer flowing exhaust system allows the spent gasses to exit the turbine faster thereby reducing the backpressure that restricts/slows/delays the turbos ability to build positive pressure faster.

PS I have done exactly what I recommended when I made my 1st mod to my Starion back in 92 and IIRC and the gains were impressive and IMHO the best value for money spent.

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back