Tyre polish

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you polish your tyres?

Personally I think shiny tyres look awful and crass! But I know some will not consider a car properly clean unless the tyres have been glossed up!

I'm not keen - the local hand car wash guys who tart up my car know my sentiments and leave em as they are. Not keen on tyre shine.

However........... There are some factions who claim that the sidewalls are better protected against UV deterioration when they are 'shined'. Hard to know if this is worthy of thought; we'd not consider polishing the tread :) for obvious reasons.

My detailer uses a Swissvax product on my tyres, it comes as part of the detailing package so I assume it must have some good merit or they would not have developed the product in the first place.

I would have thought uv deterioration would only come in effect over a long period of time. Tyres would be replaced long before that due to tread wear I would have thought.
I'm guessing it's just to make them look cleaner.

I have used AutoGlyms tyre shine many times when cleaning the car. Once finished, I have to say the result is rather good. It's not glossy or OTT but it adds a rich, black shine.

I would have thought uv deterioration would only come in effect over a long period of time. Tyres would be replaced long before that due to tread wear I would have thought.
I'm guessing it's just to make them look cleaner.

I agree - the tread will be gone long before UV gets to them. Unless you do about twelve miles a decade like my Dad and his tyres deteriorate right across the tread and sidewall.