Tyre hotels

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
Just reading up on winter tyres and it seems the popular thing to do is storing your tyres at the tyre fitters or somewhere else for six months until you need them again. Its a popular thing in Europe and something I think I might use.

What do you think, is it a service you'd contemplate using? :)

Totally yes - though I'm not bothered about using winter tyres until conditions are bad.

I do NOT buy the seven degrees myth. Given the plethora of different tread compounds available, different carcass constructions available and even more different tread patterns it's just not possible that all tyres suddenly 'swap' characteristics at exactly that temperature.

Look at how differently two different summer tyres behave even if they are of similar price . . . . . . .

Did not even know such a thing existed :embarrest: I would certainly consider doing such a thing now that I know it is possible. Have wondered about buying a set of winter tyres before, but no space anywhere at my humble abode has put that thought on the back burner for a while. I think I will give Elite's a call to see if they are doing the hotel bit; I wonder what the storage costs would be like? With a bit of luck it will be no charge if you buy the tyres from them in the first place ;)

Stick em in your garage? I'm skeptical about the need for winter tyres in Britain, which is a temperate country. Alaska maybe. When it's very cold I drive more slowly, and turn and brake more gently.

Stick em in your garage? I'm skeptical about the need for winter tyres in Britain, which is a temperate country. Alaska maybe. When it's very cold I drive more slowly, and turn and brake more gently.

I would fit winter rubber if it's severe again, my 5 series can be a bit of a handful in snow. I'd far rather have a super nose heavy FWD than a 50:50 balanced RWD in such conditions

It is a good idea, we only really need winter tyres in this country for a couple of months max IMO. So it's not worth buying them really. My Quattro is very stable in all weathers anyway so I've not seen a need for winter tyres.

Having driven on 'em a few years agoin a Fiat Ducato van I can vouch for their sheer brilliance over standard tyres in snow and icy conditions. But I wouldn't bother just for temperatures below 7 degrees Celcius.

if you have the space, get a spare set of alloys (when i put TSWs on the V6 i had the stock alloys) and put the winter tyres on them. the reason i say that is i went up to 18" from 17" standard and i didnt fancy 18" winter tyres so i used a slightly higher profile 17" winter tyre to raise the car a little. i did use them last year and i cant praise them enough on an icy road. they are fantastic compared to summer tyres.

unfortunately those tyres are too high profile for the VR4 so i need a new set of alloys and new set of winter tyres for this season. not to mention getting rid of both sets of alloys for the V6

if you have the space, get a spare set of alloys (when i put TSWs on the V6 i had the stock alloys) and put the winter tyres on them. the reason i say that is i went up to 18" from 17" standard and i didnt fancy 18" winter tyres so i used a slightly higher profile 17" winter tyre to raise the car a little. i did use them last year and i cant praise them enough on an icy road. they are fantastic compared to summer tyres.

unfortunately those tyres are too high profile for the VR4 so i need a new set of alloys and new set of winter tyres for this season. not to mention getting rid of both sets of alloys for the V6

Yep I bought a set of steel wheels earlier this year for exactly that purpose, need to get them powder coated soon. :)

Yep I bought a set of steel wheels earlier this year for exactly that purpose, need to get them powder coated soon. :)

this is what i was looking at for both the bora and the octy, but trying to find 17 steelies isnt easy.
now trying to look for a cheap set of alloys but nothing takes my fancy or has too low an o#!#!#!et

I'd go for a 16" or even 15" fitment if one is listed. Use a higher profile tyre to maintain equivalent rolling radius to the summer tyre. The taller sidewalls will flex more too. I think this is a benefit in a winter tyre used during bad weather.

I'd go for a 16" or even 15" fitment if one is listed. Use a higher profile tyre to maintain equivalent rolling radius to the summer tyre. The taller sidewalls will flex more too. I think this is a benefit in a winter tyre used during bad weather.

i agree but i have just bought a set of brembos so i cant go smaller than 17" and EVO alloys are a safe bet that the spokes will clear the calipers

That's the problem. My car has 16" factory rims but BMW seems to think brake calipers have to be the size of toasters so finding 15" rim to accomodate the things might be a bit of a giggle.

my 2001 V6 (uk car) came with 17" as standard but the VR4s (jap import) all had 16". unfortunately i cant use the V6 alloys as UK cars are 4 stud and jap versions are 5 stud so nothing is compatible except the tyres themselves. the V6 wasnt lowered last year and as far as i know the VR4 is 60mm lower so even the tyres are no use to me now