Two stroke diesel: Build a simple ECU ??? Do-able, or not?

Not at all. My knowledge of diesel systems is not exhaustive and I appreciate some accurate information such as this. Not that I'm ever likely to take the car to bits. That would be asking for trouble.

Cheers,

P.

You guys should check out deltahawk.com and do a little reasearch on the Detroit diesel 2 stroke engines, Detroit in fact made a single cylinder 71 cubic inch motor, not to mention a 24 cylinder motor... The technology is ancient but it is very tried and true, and reliable.

Your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)

You guys should check out deltahawk.com and do a little reasearch on the Detroit diesel 2 stroke engines, Detroit in fact made a single cylinder 71 cubic inch motor, not to mention a 24 cylinder motor... The technology is ancient but it is very tried and true, and reliable.

The post was several years back.

We built a very reliable electronic control for the Delphi pump. I've written it up (almost correctly) on Wordpress/malc9141.

ECU: We found we needed 18+v and were giving about 20 amps, for about 2 msec to move the shuttle.
Interestingly, we simply stuck a child's silver star onto the flywheel and used a photo-diode to pick up the response. This was then modulated to a standard impulse, and we could use that to fire a current generator. We could also fire extra times per rev at any point we wanted by adding a second star with a second photo-diode.

As for advice on Deltahawk etc, thanks. You'll be amazed to learn I'd heard of it, ditto Wilksch, ditto Austral etc.
Toyota built a twin rather like ours but had probs with VF and we have that too.

Last edited:
You are so helpful.
FYI, the First World War (1914-1918) was won, not because of the usual stories, but because Henry Ricardo who was to predict everything that ever needed predicting about CI engines, invented The Tank. A steel tank with a Two Stroke CI engine. It ended trench warfare instantly and allowed advances at last.

Not far from where I live, there Cummins HQ (you might know the name).

But 15 years ago, when I began to fail in this quest, we wanted a powerful, light diesel for aircraft. Like the Deltahawk, which wasn't around then. My idea was for a Lop Scavenging system and a less-high - therefore lighter - unit. Weight is everything in a plane.

I was flattered and disappointed to find that in about 2006, Toyota, no less, built an engine very like mine and "couldn't get the torque".

That's exactly my problem. So the power-to-weight is not good enough (the engines you talk about are far too heavy).

But I haven't quite given up, because those engines do provide plenty torque.

Note, you aren't talking to an idiot. Do you think anyone would embark on this without doing homework? The VE etc is for another section (Towards a two stroke aero-engine).
Here I was interested in controlling the high pressure fuel injection (partly pioneered in USA but perfected by Fiat and Bosch). I use a Delphi set-up.

I wrote up the results (with a minor omission) on Wordpress.com/malc9141 or wordpress.com/malcolmcochran. Hope you've read this far!
Cheers
Malc

Thanks, that's most helpful.
You might know that the First World War (1914-18) was won, not by the usual stories, but because Henry Ricardo invented a steel tank and a two-stroke CI engine to power it (The Tank) which ended trench warfare instantly and allowed advances at last. Ricardo predicted, during his long life, everything that was needed to be known about Diesel Engines.
You might be familiar with a little company that goes by the name of Allison. They are fitting ultra-high speed flywheels (in vacuo) to buses' brakes. The power stored is about 50 hp. It's then used for acceleration. Guess who holds the licence: Ricardo. Still there.

But to the point, this thread was about Fuel injection control. We worked it out and posted it on Wordpress.com/malcolmcochran (?wordpress.com/malc9141). If you look, you might say, it could be improved - True, we know that now but it's simple and reliable as we have it.

As for general diesel bits, yes, I have heard of Deltahawk etc.

In a plane, weight is everything (well, nearly) and my idea (15+ years ago) was to use loop scavenging (you'll be familiar with that) to permit a less-tall engine. Ie better packaged, lighter, etc.

I was both flattered and disappointed to find that Toyota, no less, built an engine like ours in about 2006 and couldn't get the required torque. That is exactly our problem but we haven't quite given up. However, that "torque" is for a different site.

Malc

Hi Wayne

It's too much detail to swallow but:

malcolmcochran.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/electronic-circuit-for-a-delphi-direct-fuel-injection-system/

Malc