Twin Turbo Conversion - What's Involved?

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I was thinking along the lines of a twin turbo conversion for the baby just now!

I know Saab do one for the TTID set-up on a diesel Aero, just wondered whether this was really feasible on my petrol engine! Current turbo is a GT30RS hybrid and space is a little tight under the bonnet.

Is there any real advantage to this type off set-up on my car, if so, what else would I require to complete the project?
To my knowledge there is no other twin turbocharged petrol Saab out there and I rather like the idea of being the first :amuse:

No it's a 4 pot TN, these have always been favoured amongst the tuning fraternity rather than the 2.8 V6.

Ah ok.
So you'd be looking at a smaller turbo feeding to a bigger turbo?

Have you thought about getting rid of the aircon pump and twin charging it instead?

Ah ok.
So you'd be looking at a smaller turbo feeding to a bigger turbo?

Have you thought about getting rid of the aircon pump and twin charging it instead?

I was thinking about a small turbo feeding a larger turbo as that's how it is done on the diesel version.

Not sure if I could drive without my AC TN and this is what would happen if I was to lose the aircon pump???

TBH I'm not 100% sure. But I know it's been done a few times over the pond in the US so it's gotta be doable really.
I'll see if I can find some more info on it.

I was thinking along the lines of a twin turbo conversion for the baby just now!

I know Saab do one for the TTID set-up on a diesel Aero, just wondered whether this was really feasible on my petrol engine! Current turbo is a GT30RS hybrid and space is a little tight under the bonnet.

Is there any real advantage to this type off set-up on my car, if so, what else would I require to complete the project?
To my knowledge there is no other twin turbocharged petrol Saab out there and I rather like the idea of being the first :amuse:

The major advantage is that a twin turbo set up will spool up earlier - one of the down sides to a turbo set up

Then you have the question of type of set up - sequential as previously mentioned or two smaller turbos coming in together.
personally I favour the latter as it is easier to work out and it should give a smoother power delivery because you wont have a gap between the turbo envelopes.
As yours is a single turbo at the moment uprating the turbo set up is an easy way of increasing the power as long as the engine can handle it. The only problem you have is the space for a second turbo , most of the pipework is already there.
Its worth mentioning that fitting a supercharger will need space as well.
choosing the turbos should not be difficult at the bhp you will get is well documented for pretty much any twin parrellel set up .A pair of garrett 2860s will cost around £1500 and give 550 -750 bhp - bhp dependant on which model/ housing etc . Obviously thats not the total costs but it will still be a fair bit less than a supercharger

@ Sleeper, many thanks for the information, I shall start my research in earnest now that I know it is feasible ;)