Turbos

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Guys,

Another one of the many questions running through my mind!

I know that most people say you can fit a turbo to a 1.6 or above engine, but is there anything stopping you from adding one to something smaller? Possibly even a 1.0?

Thanks again,

Corey.

there are plenty of small turbo'd engines about. The old Sirion had a three pot 1 litre turbo. most small cars now come with 1.4l turbos.

however to do it yourself would require too much work/money and not be very worthwhile

even to turbocharge a car with a bigger engine would cost alot, but with a smaller one the parts wont be forged for as much power, where as the bigger engines will so they will be able to cope with the bigger power gains if converted, probably only for a short time, if converting i would deffinately think about buying better engine parts like steel forged pistons, re-enforced headgaskets, fast road cams, better valves rockers etc etc

"I know that most people say you can fit a turbo to a 1.6 or above engine, but is there anything stopping you from adding one to something smaller? Possibly even a 1.0?"

You could fit a small IHI or KKK turbo on a under 1 litre engine with great success
I have fitted a few of these turbochargers on our locally made 3 cyl Maruti 800(Same as the Suzuki Alto 800cc). The improvement in performance has to be experienced to be believed!