turbo'ing a 2.8v6 on a carb

cortinadale

Car
cortina2.8 carousel
do i need to do something with the compression?? and fuel pump?? i brought a 2.3 v6 off ebay already turbo'd but i want to do the 2.8 in my car. any info will be helpfull as this is my first attempt :blink:

Have a look around ebay. Turbo Tecnics did loads of conversions on these engines i'm sure you'll come across all the bits need if you searched a little.
If you want to run any sort of boost you'll need to lower the compression and yes you'll need an uprated fuel pump amongst other things.
How much you willing to spend?

bosh 070 i think it's called is a perfect inline pump but put it close to the tank because they push fuel better than they can suck it and another filter before it, keep your fuel pressure 2-5lb above boost pressure or it will lean out, can you post a pic of your carby box i might be building one myself soon and would like to see yours.

Manual fuel pressure regulator, manual boost controler and a set of low comp pistons with rods should see you right. You WILL also have to drill the engine for the turbo oil feed and return and fit a oil cooler if it hasn't got one. You should be able to play with the fuel a little bit with the carb and if you need more you can use the manual controller. Then take it to a rolling road and have a play with the settings with the boost, air/fuel mix. You might want to buy yourself a set of gauges aswell to keep an eye on how things are running, temp pressure, mixture etc.

I would aslo suggest you upgrade the suspension, brakes, fuel pump, intercooler and radiator & hoses so it handles the power better. Last thing you want is all that power and not have a car that can take it.

I've also heard good resaults with fitting throttle boddies. Or even just stick a cosworth lump in there and go for 500bhp+ lol.

personally I would never use a manual boost controller when for £200 you can buy an electronic one
Also you need a new map or ecu thats if you are going to do it propery

personally I would never use a manual boost controller when for £200 you can buy an electronic one
Also you need a new map or ecu thats if you are going to do it propery
Not sure he will need a map or ecu if it's using a carb :)
You shouldn't need to lower the compression if you keep the boost below 7psi.

Not sure he will need a map or ecu if it's using a carb :)
You shouldn't need to lower the compression if you keep the boost below 7psi.

Understandable. But when I was in the Vectra world, seeing people turbo the V6 engine on low boost with standard internals does work, but makes the engine ware much much faster, you may aswell lower the compression and be able to have 15psi and the engine be ok.