Turbo vs Supercharger direct comparison

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
For those who have wondered over which way to go here is IMO the best comparison between 2 cars ,same model,same motor,same tyres on the same boost pressure on the same dyno tuned by the same tuner on the same day |B

Take note of the pic with the boost graphs where it shows the linear ( a steady straight line ) for the supercharged cars boost rise compared with the turbo's cars graphs that show a sudden rise and leveling off as the wastegate vents excess exhaust gasses to prevent over-boost pressure that may damage the motor.

PS the BELT DRIVEN supercharger boost pressure will rise at the same rate on the graph regardless as to whether it is stationary being revved or driven on the road regardless of load on the motor whereas the EXHAUST DRIVEN turbo needs to be driven @ WOT under load to produce the line shown on the graph as the boost rise is governed by the throttle position and the way that the boost pressure increases varies depending on load.

PPS A turbo car being driven on a level road at a steady speed will not be producing any positive pressure but when it encounters a hill without any change in throttle position will start producing positive pressure as the motor comes under load as the car drives up the hill.

Hope that makes things clear for the non technically minded :)

Last edited:
So which would you go for? For me it has to be the turbo, I don't like the linear approach of a supercharger.

I really enjoy those Mighty Mod guys. Funny, entertaining, and informative :)

He's planning on turbo'ing it now.
He wants more boost!
The way it picks up is insane though as it is.
There is a vid of him going through the gears to 5th during a burnout.
It's an animal now. So to turbo it and add alot more boost. God knows what the outcome will be. It is worth keeping an eye on though.

Love silly projects like this me. Absolutely outrageous and I love it!

You can't beat the punch of having both turbo and supercharger :) except for maybe doubling up on everything.