Turbo timer

Druidoak60

Wrench Pro
Car
2019 Ford Fiesta ST
Turbo timer, needed or not needed. I ask because I 'm having a turbo I bought used rebuilt, it's a GT2556r, the bearings where coked, oil baked on due to heat caused by shutting down the car before the turbo cooled off. I did some research and it seems that no one uses them any more. So is it just a matter of driving around a little bit to give the turbo time to cool off after running it hard or is a timer still of some use? The big reasons for not running one is that todays oils are better and most turbos are also water cooled. But I still had to deal with getting new bearings installed. Previous owner said the turbo had about 45k miles of use. So did the previous owner just abuse the turbo or is a timer still worth while?

The main reason for not using them is actually because it interferes with the immobiliser, so technically makes the car easier to steal just after it's switched off. A few insurance claims have been refused because these were fitted here in the UK.

There are also restrictions in some regions on leaving a car running with the engine on with no driver present.

If you get into the habit of allowing a cooldown period you won't go wrong. I have a spot as I come into town where I drive like a granny, to help everything cool down.

Modern fully Synthetic oils have come a long way.

The main reason for not using them is actually because it interferes with the immobiliser, so technically makes the car easier to steal just after it's switched off. A few insurance claims have been refused because these were fitted here in the UK.

There are also restrictions in some regions on leaving a car running with the engine on with no driver present.

If you get into the habit of allowing a cooldown period you won't go wrong. I have a spot as I come into town where I drive like a granny, to help everything cool down.

Modern fully Synthetic oils have come a long way.
Yea I'm thinking just let it cool down before parking it.

wow! I didn't know that. Sometimes im out driving and practicing pulls on my Audi since its manual. Does this happen even if the turbo is coolant called?

Obi Waynne has the correct method by driving the last mile or a bit less like Miss Daisy as that allows the turbo that was previously spinning @ say well over 100.000 + revs to slow down quite a bit before turning off the ignition and stopping the oil and water flowing thru the turbo galleries and bearings.

Interestingly some cars have electric water pumps that keep the water circulating after the engine is off. I think BMW use this on some models.