turbo questions

crashndied

Car
zaf 1.8 daddy wagon
hello ive a few questions on turbos ive got the basics of it, its just the fuel/air thing i need to figure out and the ecu

1. its it just the air pressure am increasing with in the inlet manifold or do i need to up the fule at the same time ?

2.oil feeds am presuming it will need a flow and return path could i remove the oil pressure sender add a tee as a feed and tap the sump for the return out of the turbo?

3. do i fit the out let of the turbo to the side of the inlet manifold after the throtle body or to the top of it ?

4. can i run a turbo off a 12v electric motor rather than the exhust gas using the fly by wire accelorator to kick the motor in this removing turbo lag an can kick in very low in the rev range ?

ive a vauxhall zafira z18xe on a 2001 plate :sad2:

1. its it just the air pressure am increasing with in the inlet manifold or do i need to up the fule at the same time ?
You would probably need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator
2.oil feeds am presuming it will need a flow and return path could i remove the oil pressure sender add a tee as a feed and tap the sump for the return out of the turbo?
Yes

3. do i fit the out let of the turbo to the side of the inlet manifold after the throtle body or to the top of it ?

Turbo outlet goes before the TB

4. can i run a turbo off a 12v electric motor rather than the exhust gas using the fly by wire accelorator to kick the motor in this removing turbo lag an can kick in very low in the rev range ?

No

Hello and welcome to the site mate

as said
it you increase the air you need to increase the fuel otherwise itll run lean

12v supercharger things - not a chance youl generate enough volume to increase.
your 1.8 lets says its only 50% efficient so thats 0.9ltr of your engine is getting used. 3000 rpm would mean your engine is already taking in 2700 ltrs of air a minute so youd need more than that to actually have any boost.

easiest option imo for your vauxhaull would be to get hte 2.0 turbo engine from the likes of the astra and get it fitted

hello to you all and thank you for your replys! in regards to question 4 is there any reason why a motor wouldnt run a turbo ?

if the outlet off the turbo gos before the t.b what would stop the pressured air mix just blowing out off the air standard air filter?

am going to stick with the 1.8 just as a project to see what i can get out of it as a lump i no the easyest option would be to drop a zlet under the hood. so a 12v wouldnt spin fast enuf to get the turbo to pruduce enuff air ? whats the ratio of a turbo how fast dose the exhust side spin in relation to the out let turbine ?

depends on the gearing but your talking they are spinning in the region of 100,000

turbo connects to the manifold, exhaust gas goes through the turbine and then out through the exhaust.
air comes into the turbo from the airfilter, through the compressor and then to the intercooler/ throttle body.

if your wanting to run it off the motor rather than exhaust gas then look at superchargers and ditching your air con and using the old compressor location for the chargers wheel

pgarner thats a good idea ! the air con leaked ages ago so its just sat there now.... super charger sound dear to buy tho wear as i can pick a turbo up for buttons at the scrappy was thinking of a bigger turbo to compensate for the slow spin of the 12v motor wonder if u could use the air con pully and a shaft to run the turbo? am only thinking of using a direct drive to save having the costs of exhaust mods to suite the turbo.

ive got the out let side sorted in my head now and the oil feeds, as for fuel is it just a case of upping the pressure regulator and fitting some purple 3.0l senitor/omega injectors?

the smaller merc kompressors and some others, like the mini, used the eton m45 charger theres usually a few on ebay but theres only 1 at the min
turbo for buttons ? id be worried about the seals and shafts if your getting it that cheap.
bigger turbo would take longer to get the pressure up and using the shaft would have to be machined spot on to the centre of the pulley for that to work - basically you would have built a supercharger anyway

fueling not quite as simple as that as the fuelling map would also have to be set up to prevent it running rich / lean. custom mapping would be needed for that

ive acess to a machine dude an he usually pretty cheap :) but will look in to the supercharger 1st. as am going to go with jenvy 45's tbs id need a management to run them just need to make sure its mapable.

ive acess to a machine dude an he usually pretty cheap :) but will look in to the supercharger 1st. as am going to go with jenvy 45's tbs id need a management to run them just need to make sure its mapable.
You're not going to be able to run a supercharger and throttle bodies, (well not unless your building a monster hp engine)

hi and welcome.

"i can pick a turbo up for buttons at the scrappy was thinking of a bigger turbo to compensate for the slow spin of the 12v motor wonder if u could use the air con pully and a shaft to run the turbo?"

12 volt motor ? not possible . the required speed (~100.000rpm) and power (at least ~ 7 Kw@12v= 580 amps !!! )of the electric motor to spin the turbo to move the amount of air @ X pressure simply put ... not possible.

using the a/c pully in terms of power yes but not enough rpm to spin the turbo to spooling speeds without any gearing...
the best option for you imho is the centrifugal supercharger and this one you can use the engine a/c belt to drive it. a lot easier to set up.
as turbonutter69 said check the " http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/ "....