turbo oil flow?

harley royce

Tuner
Car
stage2 r33 gtst
another technical questiondoes anyone know what the flow rate should be out of the oil return line from the turbo for a 96 gtst? or even a rough flow for a ball bearing turbo?

Sorry mate, not got a clue on this. Hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction though. What sort of flow rate are you getting? Is oil pressure remaining constant.

it started making a odd noise again so we pulled off the oil return line and made sure oil was actually flowing thru, it was... and it was a nice constant flow,aprox 100ml in bout 10 seconds. wondering now if theres a way that oil can be flowing in to the turbo but some how not actually flowing in to the bearing cartridge???? thats the only thing we can thing off. mabey even the turbo design is just crap and not working properly, its a rebuilt and hiflowed stock turbo.

If the turbo is getting really hot it might be boiling off the oil. Does the oil levels drop much?

nope, not that i can notice anyway. what happened was the turbo bearing went and it was diagnosed by the people who hiflowed it that it was caused by oil starvation...... its getting heaps thru though. what about if the coolant wasnt flowing to the turbo properly? could that cause the same thing?

nope, not that i can notice anyway. what happened was the turbo bearing went and it was diagnosed by the people who hiflowed it that it was caused by oil starvation...... its getting heaps thru though. what about if the coolant wasnt flowing to the turbo properly? could that cause the same thing?

Ensure that the oil drain as it exits the turbocharger is without any restriction(maybe caused by sludge, etc) and check that it drains back into the sump, the oil flow to the turbo should be sufficient if you can see a fair quantity flowing out of the turbo drain pipe-you can temporarily disconnect the drain and check for this-

If you have a water cooled turbo, please ensure that water is, in fact, flowing through-again check by loosing or removing the return line -

I hope you are idling the the engine for at least 45 secs before switching off, or else you will have premature bearing failure due to the fact that the turbo will be spinning without lubrication from the time of engine switch off until the turbo spools down. This simple precaution of idling the engine for a while will help the turbo to spin down and prevent bearing problems

yep gets cooled down after every drive for bout 30 seconds, what would be the easiest way to check water flow? with out draining the whole coolant system????

The easiest way would be to remove the drain hose or pipe, start the engine and check the return flow from the turbo.