Turbo magic

wigguy1

Wrench Pro
Car
84,944porsche,400hp
I wonder if a small, light, remote turbo could be added to a conventional set up to over come low end turbo lag. Have it light enough to start spooling at around 1500 rpm with 5 to7 psi to produce boost before the main turbo spools up.

Now, if this is feasible will the remote need to run at the same peak psi as the main turbo to prevent pressure backwash to the remote turbo?

wigguy1

A more successful solution would be to use a small Supercharger. This technique called compound charging was used during the Group B rally car era - e.g on the original Audi Quattro's in the early 80's used a supercharger and turbo in series.
Is also used today on VAG TSI engines.
You will need a good ecu and a turbo boost control solenoid to control such a set-up though.

Last edited:
Boost control on standard cars is set within the parameters of the manufacturer, which will always be for the most economic/reliable/relatively boring with a bit of go. The cheapest way to override this is with the use of an after market electronic boost controller. These have many functions, including the ability to trim boost activity as well as peak hi/low boost. There are many options available, at varying costs. Look at something like the A-pexi AVC-R as a good start. These are piggy back systems which wire into your ECU and basically fool it into thinking different things are happening, hence allowing better control of boost. This is a very common procedure on the majority of upgraded turbo cars. It is seen as the first stage of upgrading for performance. Correctly installed and set up, it transforms the drive of the car. I could write much more but it's easier if you research it yourself to find the best compatibility for your own price guide and desire etc.
This would work out far cheaper than the extra turbo option, would probably meet all your demands and more, and in any case, an extra tub would require a similar set up anyway to control it.

A more successful solution would be to use a small Supercharger. This technique called compound charging was used during the Group B rally car era - e.g on the original Audi Quattro's in the early 80's used a supercharger and turbo in series.
Is also used today on VAG TSI engines.
You will need a good ecu and a turbo boost control solenoid to control such a set-up though.
The only group b car that had a supercharger and turbo was the lancia s4 and that was not compound charged. and again, the vw is not compound charged.

Gentleman, I thank you all for your great information and I will research each and every one, but keeping this in mind, I still have one question.
Would any of these suggestions be as much fun as setting up the system I'm talking about, and making it work?

Gentleman, I thank you all for your great information and I will research each and every one, but keeping this in mind, I still have one question.
Would any of these suggestions be as much fun as setting up the system I'm talking about, and making it work?
Well done, perfect answer. sometimes it's just fun to do things differently. although I think a remote turbo works best on a normally aspirated engine with a higher compression ratio. I think putting a small turbo on the back of your car would be a plumbing nightmare.

The only group b car that had a supercharger and turbo was the lancia s4 and that was not compound charged. and again, the vw is not compound charged.

The Lancia Delta S4 did have a turbo and a supercharger. Over here in the states, the setup is known as twincharging. And the VW 1.4L TSI (TFSI? I'm not up on VW lingo) is twincharged.

The setup is popular over here in the Pontiac Grand Prix scene as the cars come supercharged from the factory.