Turbo issues... lack of boost...

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Right then lads and ladies...

As some of you know I've been under going quite a lot of work to my dear old Peugeot 306, (click my sig and it should link you to my project thread)

So I'm not making the boost pressure that I want...

I've changed all the hose joints for some proper silicon ones and changed the rubbish cheapo knock off jubliee clips with some Mikalor clamps, and I've been around and check the joints properly with the help of my air compressor...
So I can say for 100% that there is no leaks (now at least...) in the inlet pipework I wound the regualtor up to 35 psi and still no hissing noises... all I could hear was the air escaping out of an exhaust valve (should mention to those that don't know this is a diesel so no throttle on the inlet manifold)

I'm currently making 12 psi at 4k~ rpms when I'm looking for more like 20-25psi at about 2.5-3k rpms (it is possible on this engine before anyone asks) and there is definately enough exhaust gases to drive the turbine, you can tell by the big black clouds of smoke making there way out of the exhaust because it is overfuelling (due to the lack of air)

One thing I've noticed also is that there seems to be quite a bit of oil coming out of the outlet of the turbo (compressor side) is this a contributing factor? Is the turbo buggered?

Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated on this because I'm at a loss now and can't think what else it could be.... I've tried to be specific but if you want me to check something else or if you want to ask me about something then feel free to... I'm all ears and I'll do the best that I can...

Cheers

Brett

I forgot to mention also, the turbo itself is a Mitsubishi TD04-13G/T (not sure if it is the 13G of 13T) commonly found on a Subaru Impreza WRX (the lesser one not the STI)

From my limited understanding there will always be some oil mist in the intake manifold with any turbocharged engine. Sounds like the bearing seals might well be wearing thin.

Yep, I'v got a car show to go to on Saturday, so I can drop it off on the way home, pm me your address and number, I'll ring you when I'm on my way :)

FOC mate, I won't need it. it doesn't have a wastegate activator though

What a really nice generous gesture! :)

If youre coming this way then that would be cool, get a chance to see my 306 as well and to see your Volvo

Wait until you see the Volvo up close and personal J your in for a treat :)

Yep, I'v got a car show to go to on Saturday, so I can drop it off on the way home, pm me your address and number, I'll ring you when I'm on my way :)

Blimey, free and delivery thrown in! :blink: You are too much claymore :lol:

LMAO!!!!

Indeed I was......

@herb I said to Clay that I was expecting someone a bit younger.... I was kind of shocked....
No offence mate, seriously I just was expecting someone younger....

and by the way, thanks again for your generous donation mate, its ashame we couldnt talk more,

I know exactly what you mean about claymore young J :blink: I was expecting to see a handsome late 20 something chap at the Swedish Nationals and not a handsome gentleman of ever so slightly maturing years! :lol:

It just goes to show me, that later on in life there is still hope for us all to carry on building mental cars and having fun while doing it :)

I might add that I'm 50 next year yet I still feel young and cool :bigsmile:

LMAO!!!!

Indeed I was......

@herb I said to Clay that I was expecting someone a bit younger.... I was kind of shocked....
No offence mate, seriously I just was expecting someone younger....

and by the way, thanks again for your generous donation mate, its ashame we couldnt talk more,
That's the problem with forums, you have a mental picture in your head of what someone looks like, My mental image of you was spot on :)
For those wondering what I look like:

clay.jpg

Last edited:
Makes me wonder how many of my generation are on here? I am 19, soon to be 20 in October. Fortunetly for me, I don't look a day past. Unfortunetly, I get ID'd almost anywhere! But that will pay off in my later years.

actually I did have claymore as a similar "generation" to og and myself .

"Youngsters" dont mod cars like his - most of them just buy and bolt things on.

actually I did have claymore as a similar "generation" to og and myself .

"Youngsters" dont mod cars like his - most of them just buy and bolt things on.

They're called chavs. :) I didn't mean to course any offence. What sounds right in my mind, actually is spoken or written terribly! I do apologise if any was caused.