Turbo from one car to another...

J0K3R

Tuner
Car
2.3 Prelude
Ok, in my local breakers yard I found a Jap import 3.0 twin turbo Nissan 350zx. Is it possible to attach one or both of the turbo's onto a Ford 2.5 v6 Zetec engine? Would it practically work? Would it be more difficult than sourcing a turbo from a Ford donor vehicle and installing that? If it's possible, I want to snap them up quickly before someone else does.

Technically, a turbo is very simple. Any turbo will work with any engine, providing suitable manifold, intake tracks, control devices etc can be sourced. However, their characteristics, size, power band, etc, vary enormously, so some combinations will not work very well. Putting a lorry turbo designed for 6-8 litres on a 1.2 litre engine would be a disaster, for example.

Getting something cheap can end up being very expensive. Best to see what other people have done and stick with that until you have gained a lot more experience with turbos.

Last edited:
The turbo is only part of the equation. Wastegate control (turbo spool speed) and boost characteristics all need to mapped to match the engine. You will have trouble with detonation if the boost levels are too high.

Minimum requirements
Manifold, wastegate & actuator/boost controller, Recirc valve and a remap to take into account the different characteristics

Ideal requirements
You should lower the engines compression and add stronger pistons and crank to cope with the power hike.

Hope that helps.

Superchargers are a lot more simple to add and probably the best bet for a NASP engine IMHO,;)

So what's the difference between supercharged and turbocharged? Forgive my naivity lol. I'm going back down to the breakers this afternoon to look for more parts and see if i can find a better donor engine.

you can do it, its just gonna take time and alot of money. if ur car doesnt have a turbo right now then you gotta custom make a exhaust manifold and turbo outlet pipe. you'll need an intercooler and piping. maybe an aftermarket ecu. u might need to upgrade your pistons and valves, need new oil lines, they'res alot of thing you gotta get and change out, im probably no help to you but if u have and an sr20de(t) rb20 25 or 26 then i can help alot haha