Turbo charging questions

Callingindogs

Car
Hyundai Acecent
I'm turbo charging my car soon, probably around February. I was wondering what supporting mods I would need. Aside from things like a clutch and engine components. Things such as Wastegate, Blow off valve, meth injection Boost controller. What are some things I would need to buy that I would benefit from? The car I drive is currently N/A so it will be a full engine build, pistons, rods everything.

First off, read this article:

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php

I would have suggested fitting a turbo version of your engine, but I can't find one other than a diesel.

Modifying a N/A engine to accept a turbo and produce a significant power increase as well as being reliable is not an easy or cheap project.

If this is to be your first car project then you are a brave man :)

This question has been asked many times on here and I have yet to see evidence of anyone actually completing a project.

Depends as to how far you want to go.
Turbo I would suggest a Disco Potato which would be very responsive and comes with an internal waste gate or you can opt for a split pulse turbo with an ext gate and a custom equal length manifold.
Boost controllers come in many types but I prefer the "KISS" method and have a GFB manual control that works just fine.
I also have a GFB TURBO FUSE which in conjunction with the GFB BOV can save the motor from overboosting should something go wrong ( It saved my motor when the ext gate hose developed leaks allowing the boost to go past the 18psi the motor was tuned for right up to 25 psi where I had set the Turbo Fuse which alerted me to the problem and made the BOV open and reduce pressure.
You will most likely need to upgrade the fuel pump along with bigger injectors and have the computer remapped OR install an aftermarket tuneable unit like say a HALTEC P 1000. but be guided by your engine builder/tuner.
Better dampers,tyres brakes should be on your list as well along with a front mount intercooler as you would/should know that when air is compressed it creates heatand you want the air being forced into the motor to be as cool as possible to make power .
I'm sure that others more knowledgeable members will have their own ideas/suggestions for your consideration .

PS forgot to add that a 3 inch exhaust from the turbo outlet needs fitting along with a Torsen LSD to get most of the power to the road

PPS hope you have deep pockets ( been there done that LOL)

Last edited:
old-git has offered wise words that should be taken seriously OR IMO it would be better to trade the car in on a Factory turbo model as IMO to do what you want to do properly would cost in the vicinity of $15,000 + AUD

First off, read this article:

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php

I would have suggested fitting a turbo version of your engine, but I can't find one other than a diesel.

Modifying a N/A engine to accept a turbo and produce a significant power increase as well as being reliable is not an easy or cheap project.

If this is to be your first car project then you are a brave man :)

This question has been asked many times on here and I have yet to see evidence of anyone actually completing a project.
The engine that closely relates to mine, is the veloster turbos engine is identical minus pistons rods, exhaust manifold. So all parts that go in the veloster turbo will fit into mine. (Very lucky for that hahaha) Everything should be bolt on minus the front mount which will need some custom piping probably. I'm sure there's a lot ahead, but I have a good guy to work on it who will be able to tune the ecu for my car and if anything i'll take a veloster turbo ecu. I don't think it'll run that much as most of everything won't have to be custom and will be directly drop it. I hope to be the one to actually complete the project haha. I have many plans for it for the future.

The engine the OP mentions - Veloster Turbo engine :)

Maybe I should have said "that" instead of "this" :)

Last edited:
The engine the OP mentions - Veloster Turbo engine :)

Maybe I should have said "that" instead of "this" :)
It's a lot of work for not much gained, i'd be gaining internals that would be switched out and an ecu that could be switched. I thought about it first originally, but they're honestly truly identical where it wouldn't justify the cost being everything that it comes with would be replaced. It was my original plan to do that but after a lot of research I concluded not worth it. It only would be if I wanted to stay "stock" and have a warranty with the engine.

It's a lot of work for not much gained, i'd be gaining internals that would be switched out and an ecu that could be switched. I thought about it first originally, but they're honestly truly identical where it wouldn't justify the cost being everything that it comes with would be replaced. It was my original plan to do that but after a lot of research I concluded not worth it. It only would be if I wanted to stay "stock" and have a warranty with the engine.

With the info/advice already given and you still want to pursue your dream go 4 it :)

Just don't keep a running tally of what you spend as it can mount up very fast.

Oh yeah, I expect to spend a pretty penny haha. Thank you for the advice though! Hopefully somewhere towards February I have something to show for it.

Oh yeah, I expect to spend a pretty penny haha. Thank you for the advice though! Hopefully somewhere towards February I have something to show for it.

Good luck and please keep us informed of progress and setbacks as well as that may help others doing the same thing ;) :bigsmile:

You will be extremely lucky if the velostar ecu just plugs in let alone runs the new set up properly.
The pin outs are unlikely to be the same but more importantly even if if you use the standard turbo the map will be useless if you make anything but basic changes to rhe tuning set up. As said brfore the existing one will be almost certainly useless.
It may not be possible to get the velostar successfully remapped anyway and if the cars have different features you may have a problem there
You may be best off getting a '.piggy back ' ecu that way you keep your normal functions and can may it how you want. The trouble is you need one that will plug in.
Another option may be something like a nistune system but again you will have to wire this in.
I hope your guy is also good with wiring .

Hello guys just rebuild my mazda 323 turbo 4wd after I blew 2 pistons at Croft engine running good but I'm gettingoil coming out of the dump valve don't no why can any one explain why this could be happening