Turbo change on my Volvo

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Hi all,

I have recently had a bit of bad luck. My trubo on my 1.9D Volvo has gone. The garage I went to quoted me £400 + Vat + 3-4 hours labour.

Since looking online, I eventually got one for £240 + Vat including Gasget and free delivery (too me that is quite hard with an IV postcode). So for £288 notes, I have got the full shabang.

After thinking the garage would rip me off after thair quote for the turbo, I have taken the task on myself! :amazed:

Yes, yes, I know what everyone who knows me is thinking..... and the answer is yes. The hammer was used. A LOT!

Removed black pipe with sensor, waste gate, pumpy oily thingy, EGR Valve and inners, oil feed to turbo, oil return from turbo, two pipes feeding, one exhaust pipe and one backinto engine. All went with ease apart from one bolt exhaust side that decided to round. So after the dremel, chisle and hammer were used for an hour, I got the bolt split and got it off.

All in all, including the hour taking out one bolt, it took me little under 3 hours. And I have next to no idea what I'm doing, I am just able to take things apart and put them back together, it potentially took 2 hours to take off, and the garage quoted me 4 in total! :amazed: Con Men!!! lol :lol:

So.....off out for a jar the night and going to clean out EGR valve and give it a genrel clean tomorrow and bolt new turbo back on. Ill let you all know how it goes.

You sound like me joe, strip it and put it back and hope for the best. Only some people end up with extra bits when they done I always end up with missing bits that never seem to turn up again.

Ai, im not too bad at it :blink:

I mean, I have been a technician the last 8 years, just not on much mechanical! Mainly electrical radar and telecoms and the like.

Ill stick some picks up tho morro when I am putting it back together.

Nice one Joe not anything I would have taken on myself, but I take my hat off to you young man for the attempt :)

Something else to consider. The garage may have a supplier of turbo's and will include a warranty into the price. Turbo prices vary from supplier to supplier too, as does quality, vastly.

Yeah, its done, but I Have a small problem that I hope will be resolved on Wednesday. I threaded the oil feed in reducer bolt. It jumped as I was putting it on. Its a funny thing. 16mm to 3/8th reducer. As we are on easter week end, will take till Wednesday to come.

Right, back to the third race of the BTCC

Right then. Update.

Rage!

Got the new reducer, fitted it, the oil in pipe was still loose! So, I went back to the drawing board and tried to find a washer to fit above the nipple on the oil feed in pipe. Didn't have one, so I made one out of a picture hook. Fitted it and it was all secure and home.

Engine on. Started. Ticking over. Touched the throttle and she over revved, I ripped the keys out and she kept going for about 20 seconds. Once she had stopped, there was a fluid at the side of the engine. At this point I was anoyed and gave up. Told my boss in work and he came over for a look. Started her up. Running fine. He recons it was water from the cooling that had gone on the engine. Ran her for 30 min with no revs. She ticked over fine. Blipped the throttle. Fine. Sent her up to 2500rpm and herd the turbo spool up. Happy days

Apart from the oil pishing out the bottom. The oil feed back to the engine was leaking. RAGE! As it is the hardest pipe to get to, it must have gone on at an angle.

So.....Later today I will jack her up, put her on axle stands and re fit the feed back into the engine. I have got some hylomore gasket sealer. I'll use that. Fingers crossed!

Apparently, the over rev is due to oil getting into the engine, and remaining there after combustion. Therefore combusting again and again.

Lets hope she is ok!

I hope you get it sorted later BBJ, nothing worse than a time consuming job having to be done twice.

That's a by product of diesel engines, they'll keep burning any oil that gets into the combustion chamber. It's also why diesels are fitted with a rev limiter, because otherwise they'll rev to destruction. Turning the engine off or sliding the rail on a diesel pump doesn't work, the quickest way to stop one is to stall it, gear and brakes.
I've known of TDi engines catching fire after a turbo failure, where the engine has fed on it's own oil supply, stalling it would have prevented that mishap. These situations were on hot engines and whilst driving because the driver didn't realise what was happening and couldn't turn the engine off manually.
Frustration is a standard by product of doing things yourself but it sounds as if you're doing just fine, a niggling hitch here and there are annoying but the rewards are good in the end.

I hope you get it sorted later BBJ, nothing worse than a time consuming job having to be done twice.

Worked it out. Between me and my mate, we have spent about 15 man hours each. Thats 30 hours.

If we both got a job in Macdonalds earning minimum wage, (30 x £6.10) comes to £180. That is the cost of the 4 hours quoted by the garage @ £40 per hour that = £160 + Vat which = £192!!

Never mind, its a learning curve!! And I would never have had the fun of searing, ripping my knuckles apart on the heat gurad and destrying my brand new 3/8ths ratchet in the process! lol

PTN, Halfords socket sets are good, but there 3/8ths are not strong enough to put weight on. Use a converter and use your 1/2 inch.

Run away derv! Another method is to cover the turbo and prevent any air getting it to it. It should starve and just cut out. Couple of vids on YouTube if you want to watch tractors and trucks blow them selves up.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3/8ths socket Joe, much appreciated.

You got a halfords one have you.

I am just in the process of buying some extender's/convertes from the bay of e.

People keep out bidding me on Snap on tools. They pay stupid prices for them. Going to look at Teng and Mac. Might get them a wi bit cheaper!

Right then.

Last night I found the leak was coming from a small hole on the aluminum oil feed pipe from the turbo to the engine. It was a hole about 1/2mm wide.

Was able to get a jubilee clip over the pipe, secure it, insert a bit of high density rubber (pinched off my mate who works on the whiskey stills and uses it to patch leeks in high pressure steem pipes) and used some hylomore gasket sealer.

This seemed to hold. Took her for a drive, turbo spooled up fine. Car feels more or less like it did before the change, maybe a little quicker.

So....Fingers crossed, she is good!!

Obviously, the next time she goes into the shop Ill get them to replce the oil feed pipe, but as I could get no access to it when it was on the axle stands (from underneeth) so Ill let the garage replace that. Should only cost a couple quid.