Turbo blankets

Has anyone fitted these? And do they make much difference in under-bonnet heat?

A properly fitted, good quality blanket will make a marked difference in underbonnet temperatures and also improve power by keeping exhaust gases hotter.

The more the merrier.

Audi Turbos generally are wrapped in a blanket as standard. They are right up against the bulkhead so probably don't do much for underbonnet temperatures:D

Exhaust wraps/ceramic coatings will all help keep those temps down, and the cat will be warmer that little bit sooner as well making it work at peak efficiency earlier.

But will the turbos work at a higher temp? And will this cause any problems?

You don't want them too hot as it will give the engine oil a severe bashing. An oil temperature gauge is worthwhile having if your car doesn't have on as standard. This will give you some idea as to what's going on.

Likewise, an oil/water heat exchanger and auxilliary oil cooler are worth fitting if not already in place.

Keeping underbonnet temperatures down is always a good idea but not if it's at the expense of the turbochargers themselves.

Think I'll leave the blanket idea alone for now, wrap up the manifold and maybe customize an intake on the induction side of the bonnet. There's just no room at all to feed more air up to the filter!

Think I'll leave the blanket idea alone for now, wrap up the manifold and maybe customize an intake on the induction side of the bonnet. There's just no room at all to feed more air up to the filter!

That sounds like a good compromise plan to me. You could also try periodically jetwashing the intercooler to remove flies and other debris. This, too, can make a surprising difference to air intake temps.

How about bonnet vents if you fancy cutting some metal.

yeah, was looking at a carbon fibre one the other day which had vents in the centre and at the sides. Thats what gave me the idea to try and get as much heat out and more cold air in to the filter. Recently fitted a cool air wall in on my filter and was surprised it made a slight difference.

yeah, was looking at a carbon fibre one the other day which had vents in the centre and at the sides. Thats what gave me the idea to try and get as much heat out and more cold air in to the filter. Recently fitted a cool air wall in on my filter and was surprised it made a slight difference.

Depending on whether you want to extract hot air or introduce cold will dictate where you put the vents/intakes. It is very easy to get it wrong! A forward facing scoop won't necessarily suck in cold air, it is all down to the difference in air pressure either side of the opening.

Depending on whether you want to extract hot air or introduce cold will dictate where you put the vents/intakes. It is very easy to get it wrong! A forward facing scoop won't necessarily suck in cold air, it is all down to the difference in air pressure either side of the opening.

It's also got a lot to do with air density. Absolute pressure is very hard to measure. What we're actually dealing with here is mass and velocity (not speed, which is a scalar quantity).

The bonnet vents, correctly positioned, will allow additional airflow across the top of the engine compartment when the car is moving forward.

The intake air scoops are a different issue entirely.

its always better too keep the hot stuff rapped the blanket works but what to do when the dump valve get stuck and over boost so much that the head gasket pops aaaaagggg

It is common practice on Subaru engines to wrap the exhaust manifold and uppipe, turbo hot side and downpipe. This keeps the gas fluid, retains energy and reduces under bonnet temperatures. On these turbos, TD04, TD05 16, 18 and 20G, a complete range of VF series from IHI and various Garrett Hybrids, all water cooled/oil cooled, I am not aware of any issues from temperature.
A wrapped hot side certainly results in quicker spool.
As regards heat blankets these can be bought as kits. £55 for a single and £85 for a double or an actual purpose made heat blanket is £85. The advantage of the purpose made heat blanket is that it can be taken off and put on with ease but may not perform as well as the kit you have to fit yourself which is a pain if you want to reuse.