Turbo an 88 accord

C

CTM56

Hey there I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to go about turbocharging my 88 accord properly, this is my first car turbocharging and i need to learn basics thanks.

Have a quick read through this article and then feel free to ask any other questions you might have. It sounds like a fun project but will be a lot of hard work.

Second that.

Okay well, the main things will be first researching the idea. See if anyone else has done the same, see if there was a turbo version around the same year and maybe throw that engine in the car. But if you want to turbo the CURRENT engine, you must locate a few things.

Proper Turbo, stay away from eBay kits! Wastegate, BPC
Exhaust manifold
Downpipe
ECU + Wiring, if there was a turbo model out there, locate a turbo ecu and wire loom, if there wasnt, you may have to get one custom made.

After looking into making it happen, you must look at reliability. Most Turbo motors runs a lower compression than that of NA (Naturally aspriated) comparison, for example my two Saabs. My turbo Saab runs a 9.5:1 compression ration, while my NA Saab runs 10.5:1. You could run a turbo on stock higher compression, but it will most likely shorten the life of the engine or blow the head gasket. This being said I know a guy who ran a turbo on his NA Saab on 10.5:1 compression and it is still going 3 Stages later.

So my recommendation is research research research. It might be wise to locate a turbo honda motor (which are rare as there aren't any stock ones I believe), and swap it into the car. While the engine is out you could rebuild it as well and really be pushing some HP. I am sure people have done the turbo conversion though, so look into it.