Tuning tips: The Benefits of exhaust wraps

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
As all regular Car Tuning Tips readers know, hot air carries less oxygen than cold air. This can have a big impact on your engines performance. As most cars have an air intake in the engine bay it becomes essential to ensure that you keep these temperatures as low as possible. One of the largest contributors to heat in [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one error I can see:

Exhaust wrap ISN'T inflammable. Exhaust wrap doesn't burn, well, not at exhaust temps.

Last edited:
However an incorrectly fitted exhaust wrap CAN ignite. Small gaps in th wrap create "hotspots", ie the only place the heat can exit, these areas get far hotter than the exhaust as a whole and can ignite the wrap.
It is a VERY rare occurence, however i have seen it happen the once on a friends turbocharged VR6. it was a very expensive mistake!

However an incorrectly fitted exhaust wrap CAN ignite. Small gaps in th wrap create "hotspots", ie the only place the heat can exit, these areas get far hotter than the exhaust as a whole and can ignite the wrap.
It is a VERY rare occurence, however i have seen it happen the once on a friends turbocharged VR6. it was a very expensive mistake!

I am having trouble working out how this could be, PM. I can understand the area immediately adjacent to the hole getting scorched if temps exceed the ignition temp of the material, but I can't see how the rest would then catch fire. I can see foreign matter (spilt oil for example) on the wrap burning off and maybe catching adjacent flammable items alight but I can't work out how the wrap would burn as the temp would drop very quickly away from the hole, unless the resulting fire from adjacent materials got hot enough to break it down.