Tuning tips: Sports Cats vs de-cat pipe

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The catalyst (also referred to as a pollution or smog control) resides inside the exhaust. Its job is to create cleaner emissions by causing a reaction which reduces the CO2 and NO2 in the exhaust. Because they are constructed of a matrix they impede the flow of exhaust gases and have been blamed by many [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Well technically he could have both as some cars have two cats....

Read what he says again, I read it as he can get two different BHP readings with either or both fitted. My car has two pre-cats, one in each downpipe and the main cat (if it was fitted :blink1:)

"i have a decat pipe, also with a sports cat on my janspeed twin exit exhuast.. so i got best of both worlds and power because my decat is racing rep adding 12 bhp (dyno tested) with the sports jansped cat also adding more power ( Dyno tested again)"

I read it as he has a decat (so imagine your other cat/s still in place) which added 12bhp, and then the sports janspeed cat (replacing another cat) adding more power once again.

Of course as this is on a 1.2ltr Corsa with only one cat, the above is rather irrelevent.

Indeed it would do mate, as it also deals with un burnt petrol as well where as there is more being let though now so the hot fuel meets oxygen out side and pop!

My car doesn't have a cat and it passed it's MOT in January, I didn't do any pipe swapping ;)